Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccuracies in 300
09-13-2007, 11:53 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Mormacil
I don't want the movie to be accurate,
I'm not saying you do, that's why I used the word "people"... like people in general. Big Grin
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
09-13-2007, 11:59 PM,

I'm no general? Sad
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
09-14-2007, 12:21 AM,

Historical. Fantasy.

I love mah Steampunk, be it in super accurate victorian england with the exception of reality-denial clockwork machines, or in magic stereotyped victorian england, it's all good.

You rag on historical fantasy, you rag on my steampunk.

You don't want to go down that road.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
09-14-2007, 01:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Mormacil
I'm no general? Sad
No, you're special! Big Grin

Steampunk is da shiznit... though it's more speculative fiction that historical fantasy.
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
09-14-2007, 01:28 AM,

Depends on the author, and the timeperiod I'd say.

But yes, it is the shiz'nit.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
09-14-2007, 02:03 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Tlo1048
lol.
About the six pack thing. I highly doubt every Spartan had a six pack, but I am almost positive that every Spartan warrior did. They were one of the most healthy races in history. It is said that every Spartan warrior had to be able to leap 11 feet straight jump from standing postion. Thats flippin' huge.
I agree with you on Xerxes, they made him too inhuman. In fact, they made him too demonic looking.
It didn't make sense that he was this 10 foot tall Persian, but no one else even compared, except maybe that monster thing.
I also think he looks like a flesh Atronach from SI.
Also the no bronze breastplate thing. I agree it isn't accurate, but it looks so much cooler without the armor. I mean, no man can jump that high with a bronze plate strapped to his chest.
Plus, Spartans did lots, if not most of their fighting either naked, or wearing light clothing.

Spartans are not a race. They are not an ethnicity. They ARE a nationality.

You're positive every Spartan warrior had a six pack? I highly doubt that...Spartans were about performance, not showing off how defined their abdominal muscles were. In fact, if you watch the UFC or see some Navy SEAL training videos, very few of them have especially "defined" abs. The abs you see in 300 is strictly the result of working several hours a day doing stomach crunches...which is pretty useless in the real world and in combat.

Quote:"Spartans did lots, if not most of their fighting either naked, or wearing light clothing."

Incorrect. Spartans aren't retarded. All hoplites fought with some form of armor. Those who do not fight with armor are the poor who cannot afford anything. As for light armor, the Hellenistic armors and boiled leather introduced by Alexander technically isn't light armor. And Spartans have never fought naked in any historical battles. (maybe just in someone's imagination)

Quote:"It is said that every Spartan warrior had to be able to leap 11 feet straight jump from standing postion. Thats flippin' huge."

That's a very obvious exaggeration. A modern day Olympic athlete can barely leap more than 6-7 feet from a running position (with the world record for running-jumping at 8 feet)

In fact, it is physically impossible for a human to jump 11 feet straight from a running position, let alone a standing position. (btw it becomes exponentially harder the higher you go)
-Connoisseur of Rome: Total War modification - "Europa Barbarorum"
-History Buff of Ancient European & East Asian History and WW2
09-14-2007, 02:48 AM,

Every time I see it, Xerxes in that movie just reminds me of Vivec. They look similar, at least to me, the both rule over exotic peoples, and they're both man-gods. Methinks maybe the director of 300 played a little too much Morrowind Big Grin Just kidding of course.

I'd think most spartan hoplites probably had a six pack. If you need to wear heavy armor and lug around that huge shield, your muscles would probably get pretty toned. I'm serious, try walking around for days on end wearing very heavy bronze armor, a huge shield, and a spear, and also be subjected to frequent combat, and you can see how strong a Spartan warrior can get. Although, I'm sure all of that delicious and fatty Greek food didn't help though Tongue Now I want me some pilaf.

And it is sad how many people actually take this movie to be historic truth. Pretty much everyone at my school has convinced themselves that that stuff actually happened. And I hear the quote "This is Sparta!" about 10 times every day, and it drives me crazy.

Still a damn good movie though. It's goal was to entertain, not give historic truth, and I think it did perfectly in just that.
Lol what?
09-14-2007, 02:55 AM,

I also doubt there were that many black men in the Persian army, let alone the Vikings with the cow shields, and the Mongols. And they also probably didn't have mutant retards with blades for hands.

But hey, it's based on a comic so it's all good in tha hood.
'Archzz' on Oblivion:
"Lots of you ppl are lucky ur comp runs it.... mine says sumthing about registering online and my ip address....i took it back"
09-14-2007, 10:35 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Intranetusa
Spartans are not a race. They are not an ethnicity. They ARE a nationality.

You're positive every Spartan warrior had a six pack? I highly doubt that...Spartans were about performance, not showing off how defined their abdominal muscles were. In fact, if you watch the UFC or see some Navy SEAL training videos, very few of them have especially "defined" abs. The abs you see in 300 is strictly the result of working several hours a day doing stomach crunches...which is pretty useless in the real world and in combat.
Strong abdominal muscles sure are usefull in combat. They help you balance your body and keep you in a place, even with another man charging into your shield. They can also help against a good old punch in the stomach.

And well Xerxes isn't some monster but he sure was crazy Big Grin
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
I'd think most spartan hoplites probably had a six pack. If you need to wear heavy armor and lug around that huge shield, your muscles would probably get pretty toned. I'm serious, try walking around for days on end wearing very heavy bronze armor, a huge shield, and a spear, and also be subjected to frequent combat, and you can see how strong a Spartan warrior can get. Although, I'm sure all of that delicious and fatty Greek food didn't help though Tongue Now I want me some pilaf.

And it is sad how many people actually take this movie to be historic truth. Pretty much everyone at my school has convinced themselves that that stuff actually happened. And I hear the quote "This is Sparta!" about 10 times every day, and it drives me crazy.

Still a damn good movie though. It's goal was to entertain, not give historic truth, and I think it did perfectly in just that.

US soldiers have to wear 80-90 lbs of combat gear and not all of them have six packs. There is a difference between having strong abdominal muscles and having defined six-packs. Six packs mean you have low body fat in that area, not necessarily strength.

and yeh, he was like an evil, dark skinned version of Vivec :O

Quote:Strong abdominal muscles sure are usefull in combat. They help you balance your body and keep you in a place, even with another man charging into your shield. They can also help against a good old punch in the stomach. And well Xerxes isn't some monster but he sure was crazy Big Grin

Yes, but there is a difference between strong abdominal muscles and defined abdominal muscles. Strong abdominal muscles means constant use and being powerful. Defined abdominal muscles means you have very little fat in that area because you have specialized the workout to target that specific body area.

and crazy as in crazy awesome? XD Xerxes historically was a good ruler.
-Connoisseur of Rome: Total War modification - "Europa Barbarorum"
-History Buff of Ancient European & East Asian History and WW2