Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspiration for the Tower of Silgrad
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM,
Inspiration for the Tower of Silgrad
The title is a little injoke... I posted a thread with an identical title a long time ago, though the matter at hand are quite different.

I resumed my tinkering with 3DSM yesterday. My year of absence from it doesn't seem to have affected my limited knowledge, and I was soon "back in the game" and created a wine pitcher which isn't half-bad, but it would need some tender love and care by a texture artist. But never mind about that, it was just a test run.

I'm thinking of taking on a real project, i.e., the Tower of Silgrad. But I'm low on inspiration, and so I'd like to throw the question out there, for everyone to pitch in : how would you like the Tower of Silgrad to look?

Don't reply with text. Instead, make a sketch and attach it to your post. Whether it's done in Paint or scanned from paper doesn't matter. Try to build it with simple shapes, for example, yes to cubes and pyramids, no to stilized daedric architecture. That's not to say I'm planning to make a twenty-polygon Lego castle Tongue ...but starting with a basic framework and then adding complexity later is better for me.

A pen, a piece of paper, a scanner, and five minutes of your time is all it takes. But please feel free to make it as detailed as you want, as we can add the sketches to the concept art gallery.

After a couple of sketches have been posted -- and I hope everyone who feels like it will take this opportunity to influence the development of the Tower! -- the core will vote on which sketch to go with (if any). After that I'll get to work. I'll post screenshots as I go along, to get feedback.

Some general rules:
- The architecture should look somewhat Dunmer (Hlaalu, Redoran, Velothi etc)
- It must be much taller than it is wide
- the Tower should dwarf the player; don't hesitate to make it several hundred metres tall.

Having said that, I'm eagerly looking forward to your ideas! Big Grin

The contest (if you will) ends 16:00 C.E.T. (GMT +1 hour) on May 10th... assuming entries into it have been made.

Just for fun, here's
the pitcher test run.
The middle one is rendered:
[Image: graija_of_areya_s.jpg]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-03-2005, 07:16 PM,

You expect me to draw? :pop: [Image: rofl.gif]

Okay, I will give it a try, but the "deadline" has to be longer ... much longer. We should have at least a week to come up with something presentable.

But it's a splendid idea. :applause:

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
05-03-2005, 07:47 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
You expect me to draw? :pop: [Image: rofl.gif]

Okay, I will give it a try, but the "deadline" has to be longer ... much longer. We should have at least a week to come up with something presentable.

But it's a splendid idea. :applause:

Greetings

Quentin

He he he... a picture says more than a thousand words. Good luck :banana:

I was just eager to get started, hehe, modelling is a blast. But you're right. I changed the date to May 10th, i.e., T minus 6 days and 18 hours. Tick... tick... tick... : o)
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
05-03-2005, 08:01 PM,

Yes, a nice idea indeed. Smile

I think ill give it a try as well. Tongue
05-03-2005, 08:34 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Cheese
yes, a nice idea indeed Smile i think ill give it a try as well Tongue

Excellent! :goodjob:
Angel mired in filth
05-03-2005, 08:46 PM,

Dont expect much from my "non creative" hands Tongue Just a question though, wasnt the tower in morrowind, more imperial like?
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Cheese
Dont expect much from my "non creative" hands Tongue Just a question though, wasnt the tower in morrowind, more imperial like?

Sadly, yes it was. But then again I don't think it would have been possible to build something like that with the Dunmer architecture that came with Morrowind, so I understand why it was made in Imperial style.
Angel mired in filth
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM,

Yes, it was but I think that some of us (if not everybody) would like it to be Dunmer. It would also fit with the lore a bit better I think. Wink

I shall give it a try aswell. I need some ideas first.... google anyone?
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM,

Submissions so far: 0.
Days remaining: 3.
Angel mired in filth
05-07-2005, 03:06 PM,

Working on it Smile

You'll have my piece before the days are over Smile