Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maeglin's Miscellaneous Questions
06-09-2007, 02:17 AM,
Maeglin's Miscellaneous Questions
The forum description says this is the place for everything related to TES:3, so I'm moving my material that is Off Topic for Silgrad to this thread.

I'm working on building some items (mainly staves... starting simple) for my little Seyda Neen vendor, who I could move anywhere needed. Nothing too unbalanced, I'm hoping, and I'm trying to price them according to their power/utility. If I could learn how to access the art and icon files I'd be in business. Right now I'm working off of two base items: a wooden staff and a silver staff, both one-handed. Ideal for an armored (light or heavy) mage, or a pilgrim. Actually, all the silver staves are Mage staves of one sort or another, and the wooden staves are being called Pilgrim staves. Examples: Mage Staff of Aeromancy, Pilgrim Staff of the Sentry, etc.... Pilgrim staves are mainly constant effects that boost things like speed, athletics, feather, and night-eye... traveling spells. Mage staves are either cast-on-use or cast-on-strike, with mainly elemental effects, either damaging or protective.

This is more a Morrowind question... About how useful are spells or enchantments that drain or damage attributes? I'm making some javelin enchantments that drain speed, agility, endurance, and possibly strength, and I'm not sure how to balance or price them. They're mainly for flavor, like poisoned or barbed weapons, but I don't want them to break the game.

Example: Barbed Javelin - on impact, drains Agility 2 points for 15 seconds. What sort of effect might that have? What if it were endurance instead? Speed?

EDIT: Link to the page where I'm hosting the ESP. Not sure it will work on someone else's computer... I've never done this before.
http://maeglin.dubh.googlepages.com/morrowind

All of the items are based on Morrowind items, except for two, which may cause a problem: a glaive and a dirk from Adul's Arsenal, which may not function properly without the mod installed. I have no idea.

EDIT2: It's funny... After all the fiddling I do to get one-handed staves in, what's the first weapon I find in a smuggler's cave playing as a brand-new Breton Warcaster to try out my new staves? A one-handed Pine Quarterstaff. Something I've never seen before. Not that I mind, I just think it would have been cooler if I had realized it was in there before I did it. (Probably from a weapon compilation mod.)
06-09-2007, 04:21 AM,
RE: Maeglin's Modding Questions - Enchantment balancing
Sounds interesting

to answer #1 you access the icons files same as you do the meshes or textures. If your looking to alter them I use GIMP, some like it some
don't.

#2 ability draining spells work fine, the only thing about MW is that once you've reached level 15 you can pretty much beat anything in the game
a little bit higher with the expansions. so weapons which drain attributes probably wouldn't make much difference since at that level the npc will be dead regardless with a few good hits

#3 as far as pricing goes, thing of the value of the wooden staff, add to that the enchantment cost for a spell(s) of the type you discribed and round if off and thats your price, if your gonna give your staff a special name, like its some relic then I would double that price
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
06-09-2007, 04:29 AM,

In that case, 5000 is probably nowhere near what a constant-effect staff would cost, even a wooden one. And the problem I'm having with the textures etc.... is actually -finding- them in the maze of folders and knowing what's what. For now, I'm just settling with modifying existing items, which seems to work alright.

Question: What program is used for making new models/textures?
06-09-2007, 04:42 AM,

5000 sounds reasonable, again it depends on the level of enchantment

as far as programs for models and textures

3DMax
Blender

GIMP
Photoshop
but I am not even a beginner at either of these, theirs tons of tutorials in the FAQ section here: http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/board.php?boardid=5

enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
06-09-2007, 02:10 PM,

Everyone says that downloading from Planet Elder Scrolls is free...

Then why does this come up every time I try to download something?
06-09-2007, 02:14 PM,

It is free. You just have to register, and then when dl-ing just pick a free server at the bottom. You register, and if you have em, just ask me for all questions. Ill post a pic of dl servers so you know where is free.
06-11-2007, 06:39 AM,

Tried everything I could think of. Including your directions.

Still can't get in. Still, I have a good amount of mods from other sites, and I'm trying to do a bit of my own, so we'll see what I come up with. I got Blender, but I can't do jack with it, so I'm just going to have to modify existing stuff... I'd like to eventually learn how to program quests, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll be busy for most of the summer anyhow, and away from the computer, so we'll see what I can do.
06-11-2007, 06:45 AM,

What problem did you had with fileplanet?

EDIT: I'll make you a profile, just tell me your nickname. And change your password after you get confirmation e-mail.
10-14-2007, 05:54 AM,

Now that I figured out Fileplanet, and have a clean install of Morrowind ready to go....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to must-have mods? I'm going to play one character through the main quest on Vanilla, with only a single house in Balmorra. Once he beats Dagoth Ur, I'm just going to start modding it up again. I have a few ideas already, like starting out with Complete Morrowind or Necessities of Morrowind and some of my favorite arsenal mods, and building from there until the world is as massive as I like it.

So, when you install Morrowind on a new compy, what's the first few things you install?
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM,

Well

Must have mods for me are most definitely quest based mods

Thier are lots to choose from, but here are some I think are the best and provide lots of hours of play

White Wolf by Emma
Suran Underworld by Matthew
Havish by JOG
Illuminated Order by Charles DeVito
The Black Mill by Bilbo Willowtree
Twin Lamps by Brother Juniper
The Underground by Qarl
Scourge of the Lich Father by Dan T.
Lothavor's Legacy by Erstam

those would be my personal choices

enjoy
Bob