Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Vvardenfell's cultural differences from Cyro.
06-16-2006, 01:30 AM,

We should implement a skill for the Dunmeric language. If not than it would be based of you're intelligence, a little bit of charisma. And if you're a dark elf it would be easier to learn it.

If you couldn't understand it it would just be random stuff, and you wouldn't be able to understand their voice scting.
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by X23
We should implement a skill for the Dunmeric language. If not than it would be based of you're intelligence, a little bit of charisma. And if you're a dark elf it would be easier to learn it.
hmm... so like most Dunmer will speak more Dunmeric unless you actually "learn" it?
or maybe the text will come out as english once you "learn" it?
or should you learn it and be able to understand a fantasy language? :lmao:
06-16-2006, 02:38 AM,

Yes, and the more fluent you are in it, the better you will be able to communicate. And it would come out in english when you learn it like you said.

I don't think someone would be able to learn it on their own. But if they do they deserve to be able to read it. But their character won't be able to communicate with them unless he learned the language ingame.

Since skills are hardcoded we could have it like how Galsiah incorporated unarmored into Oblivion.
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM,

It is never mentioned if the PC Dunmer actually IS from Morrowind, so why not offer a possibility of being one so that you can understand their language from the beggining?
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM,

Well, if we can get past it being hardcoded, we could have it as a skill you select.

If not, than you can select to start in a place where they speak Dunmer, but you would have to learn Imperial. Or the other way around.
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by X23
Well, if we can get past it being hardcoded, we could have it as a skill you select.

If not, than you can select to start in a place where they speak Dunmer, but you would have to learn Imperial. Or the other way around.

There are alredy new races being made, so what's the problem with this?

Well, skills ARE hardcoded....
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
06-24-2006, 01:26 AM,

i like the raspy dialects. but how and who are recording the voices?
98% of forum-goers say that fast travel ruins Oblivion. Put this as your signature if you are one of the 2% that realize fast travel is optional.
06-24-2006, 01:34 AM,

I can do a somewhat good impersonation of a raspy Dunmer voice (in my opinion) without using tools and such. No, I don't smoke before anyone thinks that, nor have I ever.

As for how to learn the language, how about a special book you have in your inventory. If it is in your inventory, you can force subtitles and read it in english while keeping the voice in Dunmeris. If not, only the option "I'm afraid I do not understand" is selectable for the player, and there are no english subtitles.
06-27-2006, 09:38 PM,

i say we have a slightly-complicated form of learning the language, because learning a new language is tough. i also think we try to make it like lockpicking in oblivion.

in TES3 lockpicking is based on character levels and your equipment.
in TES4 it is based on the skill of the person playing the game,

i think that if we create a nearly-complete language we also publish a guide/dictionary, so a player can decipher words with their own skills.

i also think we should create books to help learn and boost the PC's levels in the Dunmer language.

we have Mara's dunmer language translation thing, we could use that to start.
98% of forum-goers say that fast travel ruins Oblivion. Put this as your signature if you are one of the 2% that realize fast travel is optional.
06-27-2006, 10:28 PM,

I wouldn't want to actually have to decipher the language, but just "Learn" it ingame and there speech would become english.