Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map for Skyrim and Morrowind
03-14-2010, 11:51 PM,
Map for Skyrim and Morrowind
I recently made two basic maps: One for Skyrim and one for Morrowind, and i was wondering If anyone wants to draw furhter, giving them cities, mountains, and roads.
Thanks
http://i40.tinypic.com/jigcoy.jpg - Morrowind
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ltq9hw.jpg - Skyrim

Yes I know the names on the Skyrim map look terrible, but that can be easily fixed.
03-15-2010, 04:51 PM,

i might as well say this here: your maps are sloppy, and fixing them would take as much work as just making a new one. if map making is something that interest you, i suggest you go all the way and make a great map.

-edges between textures are clearly visible. either use the clone tool and/or blend them using opaque erasers, etc.
-outlines are not smooth, often ends/beginnings can be seen. they are also not the right color, don't have the darkening effect, and don't have that distinctive 3D effect around province borders.
-textures don't go all the way to the lines, or go over the lines.
-textures are repeated (tiled) obviously. use more source textures, copy less distinctive areas, and flip some samples.
-the text is different sizes and still has the texture from the old maps. download the appropriate font (it might actually already be on the CD).

besides that, a lot of beth's effects were achieved through blending modes. with a little experimentation you can get very similar results. additionally, you might want to create some of your own textures for unique terrain (like skyrim's snowy expanses or morrowind's ash deserts).
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM,

Sloppy? Sorry but that's kinda mean, dont you think? I mean, Im new to this, and I thought they were pretty good for being a newbie in Photoshop. Couldn't you have worded it better? Maybe Im just taking it personally.
03-15-2010, 06:53 PM,

how would you prefer i phrase it?
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM,

Hi Googlepox Smile

Please take any comments as opinion. Everyone has one and some are harsher than others. Looking at your maps I thought they were a decent first draft for someone not experienced in that area. I could not do better Smile

Take opinion for what it is worth and move on. Don't let it discourage you. Even the master map makers started somewhere Smile

Have a great day
Charles
03-15-2010, 08:47 PM,

Hi Googlepox
I think you'll find LadyN calls 'em how she sees 'em. And if you grow a thicker skin and listen to what she says - she's usually right.
Morcroft Darkes