Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Maybe) A very neat idea!
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM,
RE: (Maybe) A very neat idea!
There is a thread on ESF somewhere suggesting pretty much the same thing - except the guy was suggesting that he simply create a program to do all the models in the game - and each modder would be able to do this for their own personal use... guess what?

Yup, mods and devs chipped in with the strongest warnings possible, short of closing the thread and prosecuting those who were advocating this for conspiracy to infringe copywrite or patent ... :eek: scaaary... know what I mean?

This whole thing works on a basis of trust. I am sure that ES devs are inspired by our works as we are by them... but we have to know where to draw the line or the whole thing breaks down.

One step too far includes looking for ways to excuse going one step too far, Confusedhrug: , though it is good to have threads examining just where the line is... and what can be done within the line. Wink

Nice try anyhows that nerbod... :yes:
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM,

In a few cases refining TES3 models it has validity but in 98% of the cases it's easier to just make the model from scratch instead.

This is because the hardest part of most modelling jobs is mapping the model, not creating its mesh. Subdividing, smoothing and re-optimizing a model both screws up the mapping that's already there as well as making it harder to set up again.

Creating it from scratch avoids that headache as well as letting the modeller set it up perfectly both from a mapping viewpoint and from a polydensity viewpoint from the get-go. It's also more legal, plus it gives the modeller practice. Not that you learn more from doing the same thing a hundred times, but it sure goes faster. Big Grin

Headhunting a few more modellers to the team would make a world of difference though. =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]