Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morag Tong "bible"
10-07-2008, 08:54 PM,
Morag Tong "bible"
I was thinking it could be a good idea if there was a "bible" written for the Morag Tong - an in-game book that gives the player all essential information about the guild, though naturally written in a style that lets the book make sense inside the game world.

I think a lot of Oblivion players will have a hard time understanding what makes the guild special, and Oblivion's dialogue system would probably make it difficult to feed different bits of information to the player through a dialogue database. At the same time a "bible" could allow for much of the dialogue describing the guild to the player to be lifted out, since that information could be gained by the player reading the book instead. I don't think it should negate all dialogue about the guild, it would be nice if the player could get the basic description of it through dialogue with NPCs, but we wouldn't have to enter every tidbit into various dialogue lines. Plus on the upside it's a helluva lot easier to modify book text after the face than it is to modify dialogue, especially if that dialogue has already been voiced at the time one decides a modification is necessary.

If you guys think a descriptive book is a good idea in general, what chapters should it have and/or what information should it cover in your opinion? (I'd be happy to make a custom book model for it by the way)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-07-2008, 09:40 PM,
RE: Morag Tong "bible"
Super Idea lets make it happen !!

We can have an in game history of sorts, a list of previous writ victims from ES3, provision's allowed to the guild by the empire etc etc

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
10-08-2008, 01:55 AM,

I know one book that we do have that i've used is the Black Glove, which describes (in the most confusing manner possible) the Morag Tong. However, i'd be the first to admit that another descriptive book would be great - something that explains the real idea behind the the Morag Tong, and maybe how they're different from the DB.

I could easily put such a book in all the guildhalls, and it could be incorporated into various leveled lists.

Though i must say, i've tried very hard to ensure that initiates of the Morag Tong get a good idea of what they're in for. I patterned the dialogue after the Thieves Guild introduction/rules and such, so it should be clear to understand.

Also, every guildmember has a little tidbit about the guild, so i don't think that information is a dire necessity. Then again, i wrote all the dialogue so i'm biased [quite heavily] Big Grin

All in all, i think that a book would be a good idea, i'll start thinking of a list of information, though anybody else is welcome to think of their own ideas (Bob and other TES3 veterans especially!) If somebody wants to do it, i'll gladly make it into it's own claim. I'm bad at text formatting
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
10-08-2008, 05:27 AM,

you see, a book will draw a fine line between the dark brotherhood and the morag tong, the differences and similarity between each other is very alike.

I have a big confusion between the brotherhood and the the morag tong, they both murder in general and even though morag tong does it with honour and notes. They seem too similar.

A book that describes the differences is good.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
10-08-2008, 02:26 PM,

So what shall we name this book ?

The History of the Morag Tong
The Real Tong
Mephala's Chosen
The Webspinner
(choose another)

And What content

History
Creed
(add others)

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
10-08-2008, 11:57 PM,

I'm not really sure on a title, those're asthetic decisions that can be made at any time. However, i think it should have the following sections:

History
- Formation/Worship of Mephala
- Split with the Dark brotherhood
- Current purpose (preventing all-out war between houses)

Operation
- Writs
- Government sanction
- Honor and pride

That would basically cover most of the important aspects of the Morag Tong
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
10-09-2008, 12:41 AM,

I don't know what the title should be, though I like the suggestion "The History of the Morag Tong" because it's straightforward. A title along those lines would further strengthen the book's purpose as a player aid in my humble opinion, the player wouldn't need to wonder or wouldn't risk overlooking the book because he assumed it was an ordinary, general book. Though I think the book would cover more topics than their history, so perhaps that word in the title could be exchanged.

Good ideas Seniosh :goodjob:

Wouldn't it be fun to also have a chapter that describes the best killing techniques? Like for instance if the mark is an honorable man, stab a sword in his chest. A dishonorable man, stab the blade in the back. A fiendish criminal, decapitate him. (Those are just some random ideas I pulled out of the blue though, not saying that's how the Morag Tong would do their executions.)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM,

How about "Unraveling the Morag Tong" for a title? It nicely refers to the Morag Tong in the title which should get players attention as well as refering to Mephala's predilection for association with spiders.

And if you want to throw in some amusement factor, you could have it written by a scribe or historian and the ending abruptly cut off with a note that further information about the Morag Tong is not to be revealed and that the individual writing the book was dutifully and legally executed by the Morag Tong for going beyond the agreed upon terms of his documentation of the Morag Tong.
10-10-2008, 01:39 AM,

Ooh, i do like that title ShadowDancer.

As for the ending, the humor's great, but that'd come down to the decision of whomever wants to do the book, though i do hope they'd be willing to include something along those lines.

Since i don't think i've really made it clear, anybody who wants to can take this book claim! All it requires is some inspirational writing, knowledge of the MT, and a basic understanding of text-formatting.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
10-10-2008, 02:42 AM,

Should there be multiple bibles for different levels? I know the MT members don't skulk in the shadows like the DB, but one would think that an assassin's guild would hold some secrets for the higher ranks.

Steve