Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Music (Volsung)
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM,

Doesn't sound bad at all Smile

Where in the mod would you like to see it used?
Maybe in a location you'd like to mod? Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-16-2006, 07:09 PM,

It's still very MIDIish, not really the style of the little Oblivion stuff I've heard. However, MIDIish in the right visual context can seem Medieval which can work. I'd still try for a fuller, less DOS-based sound quality though.
03-17-2006, 09:40 AM,

Vrenir: For general use, yes. For a location he would mod in Silgrad Tower, no. Walking into a large place and hearing his background music would definitely spike my interest in the place. Personally I'm sure the somewhat retro tint of the song will actually be appreciated by many players, stirring fond memories of old RPG's.

Come to think of it, we'll probably have a castle-like location in our main Imperial town, Steadhelm... would you be interested in modding that to go with your music, Lord Volsung? =)
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-17-2006, 03:27 PM,

Razorwing: Thanks, I would be interested. I should say that I am not very familiar with scripting, having not gone beyond simple events triggered by conversation in the Morrowind editor, though I don?t think that for the basic creation of an area that should be a large problem, and I can probably learn a bit if I need to. I must admit also that I know next to nothing about texturing/modeling etc. So, I would be interested, provided that neither of these is a big problem.

Is there any lore that I should know about this location in advance, other than that the architecture is imperial and that it is a castle/fortress? Perhaps this is somewhat premature as a question, since the editor has not yet been released, but would sorts of things would you expect to go into it?

About music: Should this go with only Volsung_heroic.mp3, or Volsung_1.mp3 as well. In either case, should I write a couple more pieces to prevent the location?s music from becoming repetitive, or will it be otherwise sufficient.
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM,

No worries LordVolsung, one could do a lot in the TES3 CS without knowing anything about scripting and from what I've heard, we'll be able to do even more with Oblivion without having to resort to coding scripts.

The nice thing about Imperial locations in our mod is that they don't require any assets that aren't already in the Construction Set, so there's no need for extra models or waiting for the exporter to come out before being able to start. Smile Knowing modelling is by no means a requirement; in fact, basically no one here knew how to model before Oblivion was announced.

The castle I was thinking of was the Cloister / Temple of Kynareth location near the bottom of the old Steadhelm map. In our old mod it was home to an order of Imperial knights devoted to Kynareth, but I think that was mostly because there was a Kynareth armor mod available back then. If you have your own ideas then personally I don't see why we couldn't change the castle to better suit your creativity.

I don't think there was a local leader, like a Duke, in Steadhelm in the past. But there definitely should be a leader like that, so maybe you could flesh out the character and have him live in the castle?

The details of what music you use for the location is totally up to you =) But please, not too many megabytes though.
Angel mired in filth
03-17-2006, 06:44 PM,

Razorwing: Okay. I'll start working on the castle once I get the editor.

A Couple of Questions:

1) This may be unanswerable, since (I think) we do not know exactly how the music assignment to certain areas works, though we will soon enough. I would assume that it is based on cells, so the castle would have to be distant enough from the rest of the town in order to be in a different cell in order to be assigned different music from the rest of the town. Does this sound right to you?

2) I also assume that I would need to wait until the town itself is started, so that I have a point of reference for where to place the castle. Is this correct?
03-17-2006, 06:57 PM,

LordVolsung:
1) I'm sure it can be controlled so your music only plays inside the castle. On the outside we could place a sound activator and put a script on it that plays a certain song if the player gets within range. I made a bunch of scripts like that for Morrowind so I don't think it will be a problem in Oblivion. I remember the "beating heart" sound activator I placed in the Gnaar Mok adventure, that worked out pretty cool. When the player came within a certain distance, a beating heart sound was played to add to the mayhem effect of the mass murder :brew: ...but for your castle's interior I would imagine the background music will be very easy to set it up in the CS options.

2) Nah, not really. You can definitely start modding the interior at your discretion, when you feel you'd like to start. (Personally I'm probably going to play the game for at least a week, maybe two, before I even think about modding. So there's no stress) When the time comes to set up the town we can just adapt the exterior of your castle to match the interior you created. Or to make it even easier for us, and look perfect to you, you could set up the exterior models in a new interior cell and then we'd just copy-paste it onto the exterior world and place it on the spot it should be in Steadhelm. Smile
Angel mired in filth
03-17-2006, 11:07 PM,

Actually, I already had plans for Steadhelm. I'm glad you're interested in helping with it LordVolsung, and there may be some things in the future for you especially Wink , but the castle is one of the most important part of Steadhelm and I would like to do it myself. I would like to use your music though!

-nr
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
03-18-2006, 02:51 AM,
Temple Music
noremorse: Okay, that's cool.

http://www.silgrad.com/gallery/displayim...?pos=-1469
03-18-2006, 03:36 AM,
RE: Temple Music
Quote:Originally posted by LordVolsung
noremorse: Okay, that's cool.

I wrote a short piece which I would associate with a temple-like setting.
http://gallery.silgrad.com/displayimage....at=0&pos=0
where is it? Big Grin

EDIT: is it this: http://gallery.silgrad.com/displayimage....t=0&pos=12 ?