Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple shot XBow
12-28-2007, 11:35 AM,
Multiple shot XBow
This actually existed in Ancient China - over 2,000 yrs ago and examples were in common domestic use at the start of the 19th century

There is a thread in the Valenwood forum - linky with a link to a website created by a serious academic researcher devoted to this stuff
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
12-29-2007, 03:19 AM,

That's funny, I suggested the same thing on a modding forum for "Mount&Blade" yesterday Big Grin

Anyway, crossbows are a bit difficult to make, I don't know anyone who could do this.
Akavir mod leader.
01-23-2008, 10:48 AM,

would have thought that bows were harder

on the website there is a pic of an actual multiple x-bow, so you have a start.

as for the modelling and rigging/animation ...

- the structure is simple
- loading - depends how - but I suspect there would be ways to simplify this
- most of the the x-bow action (loading next bolt) takes place in the ammo box so that is simplified.
- the 'shot' is so fast that you might get away with 2 states for the arms, and a mere blur for the string and bolt.
- there might be a kick!
- the bolt in flight will have a straight flight, so forget physics until the decay, and who care about that? - it will be waay out of sight ...
- the area of accuracy = v. short range. hit or miss. peristaltic action = serious wounds if a hit.

a bow by contrast is an inexpressably elegant work of art, which is part of why formal armies (esp in the far east) continued to use them despite the effectiveness of the xbow.

all the best,
raggidman
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
01-23-2008, 11:44 PM,

I saw a documentary on them recently they would be used in large groups and have poisoned tips to compensate for the lack of launch force so the slightest cut could kill and with hundreds of shots raining down on you getting hit wasn't hard. Big Grin
01-26-2008, 04:38 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by raggidman
would have thought that bows were harder

Bows are simple, crossbows need new animations, bows do not.

Personally I would like to see some Japanese muskets, that would be cool.
Akavir mod leader.
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM,

- the bolt in flight will have a straight flight, so forget physics until the decay, and who care about that?

That would actually be very hard to do with smooth animation, since you would need heavy scripting to change the position of the bolt each frame.
I like forts! You don't like forts? Screw you.
This post has been edited 5,453 time(s), it was last edited by Beremat: Today, 53:83
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM,

the musket sounds like a cool idea :goodjob:
01-28-2008, 06:10 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by ciao_gamer
the musket sounds like a cool idea :goodjob:

Yes, but I think we will save it for later (more important things come first).

The humans and the Tang Mo will have some matchlock muskets.
And if we get some one who can make the crossbow, we will give it to the Tang Mo for sure.
Akavir mod leader.
01-30-2008, 04:23 AM,

i read on the weapons page i think it was that simple guns came before full plate armor remember that nirn is not like earth and maybe they dont have large areas of resources like salt peter to make gunpowder but the simple gun still would be a good edition if we get round to it Smile
01-31-2008, 03:30 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by ciao_gamer
resources like salt peter

I think i forget to ask Ra to make this ingredient for us, but we could re-texture something to look like it.
Akavir mod leader.