Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Voice!
01-20-2006, 11:02 PM,
My Voice!
Here are a few recordings of myself. I tried doing every race I figured I could get close to.
01-20-2006, 11:32 PM,

Here's my 6th one. Its supposed to be the guy who does the papers in the beginning, I think he's a breton.
01-21-2006, 01:01 AM,

Not to bad at all
01-21-2006, 02:04 AM,

Excellent work, Caligula. Me likes it.

My favourite is the Dark Elf, closely followed by the Wood Elf. Both are extremely well done and the latter one made me even think of Fargoth ... a bit.

The Khajiit is quite okay, but you should try to give less pressure on the voice to make it somewhat smoother. The way you do it it has - for me that is (!) - a certain Dark Elf appeal. But besides that it is a good one.

Your Orc impersonation sounds much more like I would imagine an Imperial, while your Imperial sounds extremely like Monty Python doing an 'Officer of the British Empire routine'. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but every time I listened to it I saw the face of John Cleese and I couldn't help bursting with laughter. (you should try and read some Python texts with that voice Wink )

When I think of Orcs, I think of something even rougher than you did, but the voice you used is quite perfect for G.I.Josephus.

Last, but by no means least: the intro is incredible ... absolutely stunning. If it weren't that late (3 am) I'd start Morrowind over again just to hear how similar yours is. The phrasing, the pronounciation ... great. Big Grin

All in all: :bananarock: and :applause:

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
01-21-2006, 04:13 AM,
RE: My Voice!
Seriously, these are great. I agree almost 100% with Q. The Dark Elf and Wood Elf are definately my favorite as well.
I think I'm going to be calling on you for some voice acting when the time comes. :yes: I'd ask if you were interested, but this thread seems to answer my question.

-noremorse
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
01-21-2006, 05:15 AM,

Nice work there, Caligula! :applause:

? The Wood Elf voice is spot-on and hilarious, hehe. You really captured the whinyness and irritability in their voices.
? The Khajiit voice was great too, but somehow I got the impression that their race should be pronounced "kha-jeet" with emphasis on the "kha" part.
? The Dark Elf voice is good, but I think it could use more variations in rhytm and emphasis. When he says "Quiet" I think he should sound more surprised, and if possible maybe a bit cautious too - he doesn't want the guard to hear their conversation.
? The Orc clip would be perfect for an Imperial guard or warrior, I think.

On the technical side of things I think the volume was too low, and there's static - like the electical hum of a computer or monitor - heard in the background. I think a data rate of 64kb per second would be perfect for voice clips.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
01-21-2006, 05:48 AM,

Aww shucks, thank guys. Big Grin

Quote:The Khajiit is quite okay, but you should try to give less pressure on the voice to make it somewhat smoother.

Quote:The Dark Elf voice is good, but I think it could use more variations in rhytm and emphasis.

I know what you mean about those two, they are the toughest ones for me to get right. Its hard for me to give them any kind of emotion or pitch change without losing the voice, which is why they may sound a bit unnatural right now. It will probably get better if I practice a bit.

Quote:Monty Python doing an 'Officer of the British Empire routine'. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but every time I listened to it I saw the face of John Cleese and I couldn't help bursting with laughter.

Im a python fan myself so I know exactly what you mean. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
After I read that I opened up MW and listened to a few imperials, and realized that if my voice was less exagarated it would be more accurate. Ill have to try it again.

Quote:On the technical side of things I think the volume was too low, and there's static - like the electical hum of a computer or monitor - heard in the background. I think a data rate of 64kb per second would be perfect for voice clips.

Yea, any voice work I would do for the mod shouldn't have that. That was mostly because I was at a buddies house and we were doing it on windows sound recorder (yuck).
01-21-2006, 11:40 AM,

Quote:I think a data rate of 64kb per second would be perfect for voice clips.

I think that raw recording should be the highest setting that you can have with the software you use. That gives me a bit more room to play around with it in Sound Forge, without too much distortion.

The highest setting through SF is a sample rate of 192,000 Hz and a bit rate of 64 bit (IEEE Float). I'm not quite sure If there would be better or worse quality with stereo or mono, but I'm guessing mono would work better, considering that a real voice is projected from a single speaker (mouth). Smile
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
01-21-2006, 03:20 PM,

I know that Bethesda used mono tracks for Morrowind so I guess they will make the voice tracks for Oblivion mono as well.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
01-21-2006, 09:27 PM,

noremorse:
Oki. If you're going to work with the clips then I totally understand that, but I still think the final clips should have a max data rate of 64kb per second. As Bethesda's Morrowind voice clips seems to indicate, anything more than that would just be bloat.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]