Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming system
01-04-2009, 12:48 PM,
Naming system
We need to come up with a naming system for flora, fauna and anything else that needs to be added to the CS. Since this is a group project, I do not want to be making decisions on something like this without input from the team. Please add your suggestions below. In about a week, I will run a poll on any alternatives we come up with.
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM,

a simple prefix system will do imo, something like AKflora01. imo personal initials are superfluous and outdated.

has a folder structure been determined btw? is everything being kept in the mod's own folders (meshes/akavir/...) or will it be kept in bethesda's folders but named differently? option 1 is superior imo.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
01-04-2009, 10:21 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
a simple prefix system will do imo, something like AKflora01. imo personal initials are superfluous and outdated.

has a folder structure been determined btw? is everything being kept in the mod's own folders (meshes/akavir/...) or will it be kept in bethesda's folders but named differently? option 1 is superior imo.

Thanks for responding so quickly Lady N. This is exactly the kind of input I am looking for. We do need something simple that is easy to use and works well in the CS.
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM,

I agree with Nerevar.

I also would like if maybe we get a little more detailed on the file names.
It makes it so much easier to find and change/correct .nifs and textures when they are easy to find. Example: a leaf texture for a palm tree

AKPlantPalmLeaf01A

I also think it would be wise to use our own folders when possible and be detailed with those as well. Have a basic "Akavir***" folder with subfolders 'clothes', 'armor' 'stone' 'wood' etc.
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM,

keep in mind that the CS bases the location of items on their directory location, so i would keep folders identical or similar to the vanilla for convenience sake.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM,

That sounds like a really good idea RA. Thanks for the info and advice Lady N.
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM,

I agree with Lady N - everything in 'meshes/Akavir/whatever' and 'textures/Akavir/whatever' and so on. That way everything will be easy to locate both within the Data folder and also within the CS.

Just watch out for any menu graphics (e.g. icons), because they have to go in textures/menus/Akavir (and the menus80 and menus50 folders), since the game relies on this structure being intact so it can find each version of the texture. menus80 and menus50 contain smaller textures that are used for people playing at lower resolutions, in case you're wondering why I threw that bit in there.
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I agree with Lady N - everything in 'meshes/Akavir/whatever' and 'textures/Akavir/whatever' and so on. That way everything will be easy to locate both within the Data folder and also within the CS.

Just watch out for any menu graphics (e.g. icons), because they have to go in textures/menus/Akavir (and the menus80 and menus50 folders), since the game relies on this structure being intact so it can find each version of the texture. menus80 and menus50 contain smaller textures that are used for people playing at lower resolutions, in case you're wondering why I threw that bit in there.

Nick, that piece of information is exactly the kind of thing we need to keep in mind in order to not miss something important. Thank you for adding that.
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM,

Based on what has been suggested so far, I think we should go with the following naming system.

meshes/Akavir/AK(item)
sound/Akavir/(file name) (I love mirrored's music)
textures/Akavir/AK(item)