Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Dwemer ornamentation
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM,
New Dwemer ornamentation
Well, this should be an interesting first post Wink. I've been working with Phitt on his Forsaken Isles mod (where I go by the alias "The Architect"), so all of the work that I do there will probably find it's way here eventually. I thought it would be appropriate to ask for the advice of the ST community on some new ornamentation texture designs for (EDIT: Dwemer) machinery and furniture. I'd also like ST to have them if the community thinks they would enhance the quality of the work being done here.

I've been looking at the design of the furniture especially, and all of it has a heavy Victorian influence. Since aside from that the original designs are a little bland, I've been creating some ornamental "gingerbread" and scrollwork textures that blends Victorian elements with the themes and iconic imagery that I think would most likely have been central to the Dwemer culture (e.g., the fires of their forges, gears and cogs of the machinery, etc.). This is one of the designs I've come up with: http://i37.tinypic.com/2zqtqop.jpg. FYI, this was drawn on computer paper with a mechanical pencil, so not all of the detail work and shading came out quite the way it was supposed to. Guess I should invest in some art supplies.

I'm not sure how well this sort of design meshes with the original "Dwemer look", which generally seems to be a bit on the blocky and squat side. EDIT: Of course, the difference between the Morrowind and Oblivion artwork is generally night and day for obvious reasons, so I'm hoping this will come across as simply an upgrade of similar caliber. Any critiques, impressions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM,

It's an intriguing piece of work with some really nice stylistic touches! I would certainly like to see this in-game. However, I'm not best placed to give a definite answer on anything Dwemer-related but I'm sure Seniosh or InsanitySorrow will be along soon to offer a more informed opinion.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
11-11-2008, 05:48 AM,

I like it

But I'm not sure how it would fit into the dwemer scheme, possilby as drawings in a book or tablet

The dwemer ornamental shapes are mearly Cursive Hieroglyphs

Most Dwemer structures other than these letterings are cold and metallic, lifeless.. its that way for a reason, it contrasts the spiritual warmth of the other races with the cold harsness of the Mechanical Dwemer

If I didn't know better I would think it was a train engine

Maybe it could be the prototype drawing of a new dwemer traveling machine

Confusedhrug:

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM,

Looks nice, though I agree with bob on the fact it could be a new machine.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
11-11-2008, 09:32 AM,

Wouldn't it work rather well as a throne design? I acknowledge the lack of elven-style elaboration in favour of cogs and engineering excellence with respect to the Dwemer but they might well sport such a design for some of their more vaunted and honoured constructions.

The bottom line, I would have thought, is that it offers a few more architectural options.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Wouldn't it work rather well as a throne design?

Thats a good Idea, we could use a good throne, since Dumac was owned by a king it would be expected that he would have a good throne. Hmmm with some modifications it could work.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM,

Wouldn't it work rather well as a throne design? I acknowledge the lack of elven-style elaboration in favour of cogs and engineering excellence with respect to the Dwemer but they might well sport such a design for some of their more vaunted and honoured constructions.

The bottom line, I would have thought, is that it offers a few more architectural options.

Its possible, a throne would work

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
11-11-2008, 05:08 PM,

I'd originally intended the new designs for the more prominent, puzzle-related machinery I'm making and the Dwemer upper-class living quarters furnishings in Phitt's Mzuleft, so I don't see any problems with adapting this particular design for a throne since it's right in line with the original design goals.

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
Most Dwemer structures other than these letterings are cold and metallic, lifeless.. its that way for a reason, it contrasts the spiritual warmth of the other races with the cold harsness of the Mechanical Dwemer

Yes, you're right. Well, I guess that rules out generalizing the designs to everyday clutter. I should probably also tone this design down; after reading your post and thinking things over, it doesn't seem like the Dwemer would be terribly artistically-inclined, period. So maybe something that approaches artistry but doesn't quite get there...which could be quite difficult to do right while making it apparent that it's deliberate.

EDIT:
I guess I could see if working in more angles and de-emphasizing the whorls and curves would give it a more calculative, mathematical look. Loosening up the design and adding in clashing angular contours in general would probably make it seem more amateurish, but I'd have to be careful. Suggestions are welcome.

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
If I didn't know better I would think it was a train engine

I had the same thought after making it. The lower part (which is probably the real culprit) was supposed to be iconic of the grillework you see in the "corridors with lava" tileset, but working in the curves and symmetry kind of did that to it...which isn't a bad thing, considering Phitt's train/tram, so I left it alone. Unless I'm mistaken, you're planning to use Phitt's train here too, right? Since that would probably qualify as one of their more fantastic achievements, it makes some amount of sense that the Dwemer would iconify it in the throne designwork, but that's probably up for debate, especially now that I'm considering taking the stylish accents down a few notches.
11-11-2008, 07:08 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ayreus
I'd originally intended the new designs for the more prominent, puzzle-related machinery I'm making and the Dwemer upper-class living quarters furnishings in Phitt's Mzuleft, so I don't see any problems with adapting this particular design for a throne since it's right in line with the original design goals.

Yes, definitely the upper-classes. The idea of puzzle-related machinery sounds intriguing. Will the machinery themselves be the source of the puzzles or are they just a feature appearing in a quest-puzzle?
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ayreus
Yes, you're right. Well, I guess that rules out generalizing the designs to everyday clutter. I should probably also tone this design down; after reading your post and thinking things over, it doesn't seem like the Dwemer would be terribly artistically-inclined, period. So maybe something that approaches artistry but doesn't quite get there...which could be quite difficult to do right while making it apparent that it's deliberate.

EDIT:
I guess I could see if working in more angles and de-emphasizing the whorls and curves would give it a more calculative, mathematical look. Loosening up the design and adding in clashing angular contours in general would probably make it seem more amateurish, but I'd have to be careful. Suggestions are welcome.
I agree with the form follows function philosophy. However, I think you should leave some subtle curves, I've done so with the Steam Centurion, just enough to add a little break from the angular lines.