Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Dwemer ornamentation
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ayreus
@nick_op: I'll be more than happy to give you a few pointers Smile. My approach to creating textures is a bit different than the usual and is fairly involved, so I'd rather exchange PM's than take up a bunch of space trying to explain it in the thread. The best thing I could probably do is write up a tutorial since there's quite a lot to know, but of course that would take some time.
A tutorial would be fantastic! Take as long as you need, I'm in no rush. I learned a bit about texturing from throttlekitty, who uses some pretty involved methods, so I look forward to it. :goodjob:
Quote:...Art Nouveau...
Uncanny, I also started looking into Aryt Nouveau stuff as well, also due to Oblivion (I'm making some faction icons that should blend fairly well with the vanilla, which I'm sure you'll agree are fairly Art Nouveau). Funny how one game can get you so interested in new influences.

You might want to have a look at some of the work of Alphonse Mucha - there are some elements in his pieces that would work fairly well for dwemer stuff (check out the hair in this, for example).
11-24-2008, 06:52 PM,

Quote:Originally posted nick_op
...I also started looking into Aryt Nouveau stuff as well, also due to Oblivion (I'm making some faction icons that should blend fairly well with the vanilla, which I'm sure you'll agree are fairly Art Nouveau). Funny how one game can get you so interested in new influences.

Indeed. Before I started working on the Dwemer meshes I had absolutely zero interest in art; doing it or even looking at it. This has been something of an "awakening" experience for me. The biggest surprise has been that I actually seem to be pretty good at it.

I agree, most of the icons in Oblivion tend to lean pretty strongly towards Art Nouveau. The 2D stuff (illustrations, posters, paintings etc.) obviously doesn't work so well for the Dwemer, but Art Nouveau architecture is a different story. Most recently I've been studying the work of Hector Guimard. The biggest challenge is still finding a way to tone down the organic contours since they don't fit the Dwemer, but the same goes for even Gothic or Persian ornamentation, since (historically) almost all real art is inspired by Nature.

Right now I'm working on finishing up the machinery meshes for Phitt, but once I've done that I'll turn my attention back to developing the Dwemer arts. Part time, of course, until the Forsaken Isles is finished.