Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partition ISO
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM,
Partition ISO
Hi all. I recently reinstalled the Operating System(vista) on my notebook.

I keep all my game programs and larger stuff that I install after the OS install on a separate partition. That works out great for space and keeping stuff off drive C: (vista issues), but if you ever need to reinstall the OS the registry will be different and those programs will no longer work anyway.

Well I think I have managed a work around for that major issue. After installing my OS and the minor programs that I place on drive C:, 7z, winrar, etc, I created an ISO of the partition that my OS in placed on. If I ever want to repair or go back to a stable OS, I just use the ISO and BAM I am back up and running just as if I never left.

I guess windows has it's restore function but that seems to bloat after some time and I do not run that.

This all should work in theory but I won't know until something goes wrong Big Grin

I feel confident in this set up and wanted to post it.

I used Hiren'sBootCD9.9 to create the ISO of the vista partition and placed that ISO onto a separate partion all in 2 easy steps. I can use Hiren'sBootCD9.9 to then use that ISO to replace the contents of the vista partition if need be.
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM,

I wish I could say something productive hehe, but I don't know much about what you said, other than that I know what a partition is. Back in the day I used to partition my harddrive to reduce cluster sizes and get more actual space, but these days I don't suppose anyone has that need anymore. Me neither, given my 1Tb external harddrive... which I like to mention every so often Tongue These days I bet I have one of the lowest systems around but I wager having a total of 1,3Tb storage space would put me somewhere in the middle at least in that respect.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but to me it would seem like a good idea to use Windows XP altogether until Windows 7 comes out, since 7 seems like it will be better than XP without the disadvantages Vista suffers from. But that's just a hunch I have. Personally I'm not sure if I'll 'upgrade' to Windows 7 either... I have a kind of aversion to the whole concept of 'upgrading', which to me has often resulted in something that used to work no longer does, or if it does then it works slower than before. It's like... yaay I have the new version of this or that program... the buttons have changed position, there's a bunch of new stuff I don't need, and it takes twenty seconds longer to boot up... Tongue ICQ was a great example, if anyone remembers it. Each 'upgrade' meant more advertising, more useless features that cluttered it up - often related to advertising! - and an all-round slower program.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM,

Hi RW. I partition my internal drive(default) into smaller sections to separate the operating system from the rest of my saved information. I have been caught too many times, having to reinstall. I do have externals but my internal is big enough to make partitioning worth it and then I have more than 1 back up.

I agree with your Vista response. My notebook came bundled and I do not do the "...please microsoft can I please install what I paid for?" regime.

My desktop has Win2000 and I love it Smile