Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Master Wizards
07-08-2008, 03:33 PM,
Real Master Wizards
The idea is simple

IN the Mages guild a player may move up to Arch Master simply by completeing quests and reaching levels of skills needed to advance

This is fine, However a true wizard would become a master at their particular art

Alchemy
Divination
Mysticism
Alteration
Enchantment
Distruction
Restoration
Illusion

Some of these go together with others and some stand alone

Regardless the Aspiring Wizard would be gifted in a particular art and "disire to" become the master of that art.

The player does not have to be a member of the mages guild to do this

The player will by random chance find one of 6 Quest giving Wizards, who will upon discussion will ask the player if he/she would like to learn a special trade

These 6 will have a particular art that they favor and will teach that art and give quests pertaining to that art

The player must complete the quests (simple one's) learn all spells associated with that art, train up to level 100 in that art, make a special magic item pertaining to that art (which the player can keep and use)

If the player is a member of the mages guild and has completed this training the players "fame" will increase by xx (discuss)

If the player is not a member of the guild and approcahes the guild to join he/she will be given ? (discuss)

We will need to work out the number of quests each npc will give and what they are, they should be simple yet enjoable, also a thing to consider is approaching these npc's I think their should be a limit on wheather or not they ask you and that should be based on the players intelligence

let the discussion begin Big Grin

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM,

Excellent idea, Bob, I really like that :goodjob:

A few things that spring to my mind:

- since there are eight paths to study, if I counted correctly, I'd like to suggest eight quest-giving wizards (this would also be a nice reference to the Discworld series where eight is the magic number)

- to keep in line with the "eight theme" there could be eight quests per path

- since it is a tedious task to become a true master in any particular field (at least in RL it is) I think the maximum number of paths should be limited (my suggestion would be two)

- for one or two (or more) of the paths the reward could be a new and quite powerful spell (with the one or other disadvantage to balance it out, maybe) and the respective wizard is somewhere well hidden to keep his dangerous secret and give it only to the worthy ones

- this could lead to another Discworld reference: one of spells has settled in the mind of the wizard and keeps her / him from learning new spells (rincewind anyone? Wink ); the reward of completing the questline would be the spell, but once the player has learned it she / he can't master none of the other paths any longer

That's it for now

Greetings,

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM,

Thanks

Miscount 8 is correct

I agree with limiting the player to learning only 2 of these arts (I agree 2 is enough)

your additional ideas are good

Nice reference also Big Grin

One of the things about mastering 2 skills, though it would be best to allow the players to choosewhich they prefer, their are some that work together and bonuses might be given if the player selects 2 that match

such as if the player chose to master
Destruction sand then by chance choose Restoration, their might be a bonus to the players skills or levels once he/she has completed both

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories