Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Away
04-17-2007, 01:47 AM,

Sounds sensible Confusedhrug:

I really should get around to learning exactly how textures work with UV maps one of these days... Well i'll learn eventually i guess.

The only way i would be able to select textures, would be by looking at them and saying "hmm, this looks dwemer-ish... maybe someone'll be able to use it?" I just have no idea about the quality of a texture, any other settings that apply (normal maps :wtf: other things) Nor do i have a clue about resolution and stuff like that.

Basically, i don't think myself qualified to find textures, cause i don't know what the qualifications are! You guys all have experience modding Morrowind, but noobs like me just gotta learn.

So if you can tell me parameters to look for (if any) i'll try to search for something useful. I just don't know if there are specific things to look for, (most of the things i can't do are simply because i don't know exactly what i have to do). Also, do you think there are any useful ST textures? The only things i can think of are the textures we have for the dwemer interior tileset. They'll probably fit many things, but we still need more.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
04-17-2007, 02:57 AM,

I can understand it's confusing for you, it was confusing for me as well before I got the hang of it. The basic thing about retexturing is determining which scale the original texture had. Let's take the TES3 texture tx_dwe_trim03.dds for instance, if you open it up you see it's 256 pixels wide and 64 pixels tall. In other words the scale is 4:1. These kinds of wide textures are great for borders because you don't have to 'tile' them as much horisontally along the surface of the border but you still retain the graphical detail. If you had used a square texture on the border you would have had to tile it four times as much as a texture with 4:1 scale.

Bethesda set up their mapping to account for the scales of their textures, so a 4:1 texture has to be replaced with a texture of the same scale, else it will look either stretched out or squashed together.

This concept of scale isn't related to the texture's size. A 256x64 texture, a 64x16 texture, and a 2048x512 texture are all 4:1 in scale. So if a modeller in the Silgrad Tower team uses the same scale when mapping their model as Bethesda did, and uses the TES3 textures as reference in the meantime, the actual texture file can be replaced with any other texture of the same scale and it will still look perfect from a mapping viewpoint.

So, if you're looking to replace the example texture you'd need to look for textures of the same scale. Morrowind retexture packs can be a great source because the textures are based on the same scales as we would use if we used the scale of textures from TES3. The downside is that the whole point of a retexture pack is to make it look different from the main game, whereas we probably want to emulate the old textures, so it could actually be a better idea to download non-dwemer retexture packs and see if there's better alternatives there.

If you can put together a collection I'd be happy to convert it to DDS and create normal maps. (Some Morrowind retexture packs use the DDS format but in my experience they always use textures without mipmaps, meaning they have to be resaved to work properly in Oblivion)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-20-2007, 08:32 AM,

Seems like Bob196045 is back now, so i will remove this and clean up Dumac.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]