Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Dunmer Worship
09-24-2008, 10:15 PM,
Question about Dunmer Worship
Howdy Deeza asked this very interesting question that is up for a good discussion I think

Deeza Asks:
A lore question it seems appropriate to ask here:

What's Silgrad's official position on the religion of Hlaalu district at the time of Oblivion? I know that the Hlaalu nobility have all converted to the Nine Divines to curry favour with the Empire, but what about the Dunmer on the street (so to speak)?

Do most of them still follow the reorganised (no longer Tribunal) Temple?

Razorwing Offered his opinion:

If I were to offer my opinion it would be that after the fall of the Tribunal, the vast majority of Dunmer reverted back to mainly worshipping ancestors. I'm sure some turned to Daedra worship and others just kept worshipping the Tribunal and refused to acknowledge their fall. The mystery surrounding Vivec's fate could surely spawn a cult following. Their reasoning could be that (for instance) he's shed his power and become a commoner until the Dunmer are once again ready to accept his wisdom - or something to that affect.

Then again another possibility could be that the Temple reorganized their fate from focusing on the Tribunal to focusing on the saints.

Bob offers his:

I think for the most part the Hlaalu would tend to continue on with their adoption of the Imperial ways as long as it continued to make a profit for them

Dunmer in general would probably revert back to Daedra Worship

Consider, the return of Nerevar, many thought it a myth, the Ashlanders held to the believes as did a few priests, but the prophecy came true, Nerevarine was recognized by all the people as the savior as the prophecy stated it would, I think this alone would tend to casue an uprising of Cultist and a revival of traditional Dunmer Worship.

I agree with RW in regard to the Hardliners, they would probably continue to hold faith in the Tribunal, hoping for their return Confusedhrug:

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM,

I did hear once (I can't remember where, but I think it's an intersting idea) that because the Temples' official position was always that the Tribunal were "given" their divinity by a council of the Dunmer ancestors, presumably now the Temple says that these powers were "given" to the Nerevarine to allow him to destroy Dagoth Ur, and that they sacrificed their lives in the process for the sake of the Dunmer.

It puts a positive spin on events for the Temple, and distracts people from all the ugly rumours that must be floating around by now about what really happened!
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
10-26-2008, 01:22 PM,

Considering most probably do not believe that Sotha Sil & Almalexia are dead.

At least in the case of Almalexia

Compare it to our current religious believes here on planet earth

many different faiths + a prophecy + a chosen one + belief by some
+ non belief by others = turmoil

I think what we on earth experience in our religious battles would be the same on Nirn

I think cults for and against would rise up, the old religions would become smaller groups of hardliners and the newer religions would blossum but with great hardships

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories