Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Texture Query
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM,
Quick Texture Query
Is it possible to make an invisible texture? I'm trying to create a door model without having to create a separate mesh as there is a door already modded on the architecture mesh in question. So the 'invisible door' would just be a selectable frame that's put into place over the door of the main model. This would help a lot if it's possible. I tried it in Photoshop but couldn't get my head around it... :eek:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
06-02-2009, 12:45 AM,

Did you try an all black alpha?

-Create a new diffuse texture (I don't really think the dimensions make a difference).

-In the 'Channels' tab click the 'Create new channel' button to add an alpha channel.

-Fill the Alpha channel black and save the texture as a DXT1 ARGB 1Bit. Remember to flatten the image else you'll get an error.

The all black alpha channel will make the texture invisible, however you'll need to add an NiAlphaProperty in nifskope to the tristrip before it'll work.

--------------------------------------------------

Btw I'm pretty sure that before any mesh is able to be used as a door it must have collision, however I could be wrong. If the fake door cannot be activated in-game and doesn't have collision that might be why.
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM,

As far as my knowledge about transparent models go, you would need to attach a NiAlphaProperty to the NiTriStrips/Shape block in question before any transparency from the texture is visible. I suggest taking a look at the bottom of this article - the section titled "Enabling Alpha". That might have the answer you're looking for.

However, wouldn't it be better to just have some sort of collision mesh without an invisible model underneath? I believe the collision is the part of the model that the player activates, not the actual model. Why don't you just use the collision box model that comes with the game instead?
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM,

Cheers, guys. I used TID's suggestion. Thanks a lot! :goodjob:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM,

Or you could just use the CollisionBox01.nif model set up as a door object. It's in the Static > Dungeons > Misc list, I think. I used it a lot back in the day when we couldn't export collision and it does a great job of it, including acting as a door object.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM,

That's exactly what I did. Big Grin :yes: