Razorwing's Vertex Painting Tutorial
07-04-2006, 01:09 AM,
Razorwing's Vertex Painting Tutorial
Download the images and example files here:
http://files.filefront.com/TutorialScene...einfo.html

WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS TUTORIAL:
- 3D Studio Max
- Gundalf's NIF exporter

The numbers in the article correspond with the pictures in the linked 7-Zip archive. 7-zip is a freeware zip program which can be downloaded from 7-zip.org. It can achieve superior compression compared to any other zip program out there.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image01.jpg]

1. I've created a simple box for this tutorial. I'm using a lot of polygons for it because the more polys, the more control you have over the shading. If it had been a real object I would have optimized and tweaked it afterward to keep the vertex shadow effect while nixing the superflous faces.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image02.jpg]

2. Add a VertexPaint modifier to your mesh. The panel pops up on its own whenever selecting that modifier in your modifier tree.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image03.jpg]

3. Unroll it and select one of the options. A mistake commonly made by beginners of this technique is to start painting right away. That won't work. You have to first *select* the parts of the mesh you want to paint.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image04.jpg]

4. Personally I prefer clicking somewhere in the viewport and pressing CTRL+A. As you can see, all the faces of the mesh lights up, indicating that they are selected.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image05.jpg]

5. Initially your model doesn't have any vertex paint at all. Sometimes it looks like it does, but it doesn't. So the first thing we want to do is to flood fill the whole model with a pure white color. You can use any flood fill color you like, and that can create some rather cool effects, but pure white is the only color that doesn't affect the texture.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image06.jpg]

6. After you've selected pure white, press the flood fill button. I've circled it.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image07.jpg]

7. Notice the icons at the top? These lets you see the mesh in different ways. Personally I like to start with turning the texture off (4th button) and only showing vertex shades (1st button). Then select a dark grey color from the color picker.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image08.jpg]

8. Paint the bottom of it with dark grey. The effect created by doing that is that of a "fake shadow". It's not the perfect solution, but it's a solution that makes an object look more real while resting on any surface. Perfect for rocks, for example. You can also use a dark green texture, which looks particularly good when used on tree trunks.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image09.jpg]

9. After you've painted around the whole base area, you'll probably notice it looks artificial, so pick a light grey color next.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image10.jpg]

10. Then paint around the base area again, higher up on the Z plane than the first time.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image11.jpg]

11. You can go on to add more fake shadow detail on the rest of the model. It often gives a subtle visual improvement that helps in keeping the player from noticing repeating patterns in tiled textures.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image12.jpg]

12. There, all done. Don't ask me why, but I get locked in after using this method and can't select stuff in the viewport, so I have to save, file > reset, and reload the scene.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image13.jpg]

13. Create an object similar in shape to your real object. Make it as optimized as you possibly can while still covering the whole mesh.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image14.jpg]

14. Since it's the same size and has the same pivot, just placing it on the same XYZ coordinates work perfectly in this case.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image15.jpg]

15. I like to give it a transparant material. All that does is make it easier to see the real model.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image16.jpg]

16. Thusly.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image17.jpg]

17. Make sure you've installed Gundalf's NIF exporter. Then select your new mesh, go to the Utilities panel, click Reset XForm then Reset Selected. Now click NifProps, tick "Is Collision Mesh", select Stone as the material and keep it as Static. Now you have a model with both vertex shading and collision.

[Image: th_TutorialSceneVertexShading_image18.jpg]

18. Here's how it looks in the Construction Set.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-09-2006, 10:56 PM,

Yaay! I figured out how to add articles to the wiki !! :banana:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind..._Tutorials

Heh... edit a blank page in order to create a new article... how counter-intuitive. Oh well, now I know.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Yaay! I figured out how to add articles to the wiki !! :banana:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind..._Tutorials

Heh... edit a blank page in order to create a new article... how counter-intuitive. Oh well, now I know.

Yes, DragoonWraith has added a new article aimed towards helping new wiki users learn how to use the wiki, see THE ARTICLE.

Oh yeah, you can have pics on articles, I suggest you have a look at how other people did that, or steal the text that does that from my tutorial. Big Grin
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
Yes, DragoonWraith has added a new article aimed towards helping new wiki users learn how to use the wiki, see THE ARTICLE.

Oh yeah, you can have pics on articles, I suggest you have a look at how other people did that, or steal the text that does that from my tutorial. Big Grin

Thanks for the tip. I figured it out from a paragraph hidden in the depths of the official wiki user guide, but the article you linked had good information.

I started out by uploading the screenshots but after I got through a third of them I couldn't upload any more. The upload form just refreshed itself during subsequent tries. I concluded there was a limit of some sort and just slapped them up on photobucket instead. Also I found myself doubting if it was possible to create linked thumbnails in the article, and the fullsize images would have been way too large to embed directly. I added a link to this thread at the top though, so readers could see the linked thumbs if they wanted.
Angel mired in filth
08-10-2006, 01:46 AM,

No, it is possible to do thumbnails, you do something like this:

[[image:World001.jpg|none|thumb|700px|A World Space]]

700px difining the size. Smile
08-10-2006, 05:17 AM,

Take a look at the Max tutorial "Adding Radiosity to Vertex Color". That's what I'm using for all of the Redoran buildings, and the attatched image. My version might be a little dark, but it has a lot more character, IMHO. And I also merged everything in to one mesh, bringing the count from 3300 some odd vertices to about 980. Big Grin
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
08-10-2006, 05:21 AM,

TheImperialDragon: Ok. I didn't get them to upload though, and it's just easier to slap them up on photobucket, but thanks for the tip I'm sure I can use it in future articles. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Zarf
Take a look at the Max tutorial "Adding Radiosity to Vertex Color". That's what I'm using for all of the Redoran buildings, and the attatched image. My version might be a little dark, but it has a lot more character, IMHO. And I also merged everything in to one mesh, bringing the count from 3300 some odd vertices to about 980. Big Grin

Hmm, I didn't know that was exportable. It is? Smile
Angel mired in filth
08-10-2006, 05:21 AM,

The one on the left doesn't have as much detail as the one on the right, for example, the roof lining of the left one is completely flattened to the roof, while the one on the right looks more realistic. Hmm...
08-10-2006, 07:18 AM,

Sure it's exportable. All you have to do is click on "Tools", "More", "Assign Vertex Colors", scroll down, then click "Assign".

And that shading example was just a quick job. You can paint with colors other than black, so it should be easy to add shadow detail and not have to have things totaly obscured.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.