Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opacity problem
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM,
Opacity problem
A long time ago I released a Morrowind mod that brought a particular kind of pinetrees into the game, based almost totally on models created by "scooterpb" - who isn't (or wasn't) an Elder Scrolls modder but rather a Neverwinter Night's modder, and I got the pinetree from one of his NWN modding tutorials.

The opacity problem gave me a headache back then too. I believe it has to do with using an opacity-enabled texture on a planar surface that only has polygons on one side, thus it uses a 2-sided texture. I've seen this problem with my models in other situations too. If you examine it in-game you can see that the opacity works as it should when viewed from certain angles, but from most angles parts of the textures that are supposed to be solid display as invisible.

I posted about it on ESF, and Qarl showed me a very easy trick in 3D Studio Max that solved the problem. But since then, the solution slipped my mind and the thread of course was deleted a long time ago. Does anyone know the solution?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-07-2006, 10:15 AM,

Uhm.. Hello again! .. I guess.

Hrm.. Well, I didn't really get what the problem was, but I've had problems with opacity too. I think I might have an idea how to fix that.
Just explain a bit more about that. Big Grin

Edit: On the other hand, taking an other look, I think you should change those planes a bit... I'll take a check in 3ds

Edit2: Didn't wind any way to fix that, as I'm not a genious in modeling :idea2:.
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM,

Well, I appreciate the sentiment anyway.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-07-2006, 04:02 PM,

You might PM him at Psychodogstudios or CanadianIce's place.