Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (3)
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Axen

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
It doesn't really matter if Axen's opinions are valid one by one, they're depressing just the same. Well-phrased critizism can sway a person to take a second look at it, and elaborating on one's views can both sway a person to see it the way you see it as well as signalling that you care enough about it to write a decent post. Too much and constant critisizm on the other hand is counter-productive. It bums people out and might cause them to leave, because when there isn't a paycheck coming every month, the only leg we have to stand on is that we're having fun. If that leg is pulled away, for instance by constant, unwanted critisizm, people want to leave. It's in that light that, in my opinion, Axen's presence on the Visual Dev board does more harm than good.

I just get right to the point. I find it silly to elongate things (as a lawyer throws all sorts of fancy language in his papers). And I also don't like restating. Believe it or not, I am human, not just a robot whose primary and only goal is to shout out every flaw.

Obviously that approach isn't working in your favor, Axen. "Getting right to the point" as you put it might work in a workplace situation or if there's a pre-existing respect for one's opinion, but not in a situation like this where people come together of their own free will to have fun together. All that'll result is in people disliking or ignoring you. People remember and respect the people who put in the work, not those who whined at them along the way.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-28-2006, 12:17 AM,

Precisely Axen, of course, criticism is good thing in general to help improve peoples' work, but unless you help them realize what is wrong, or why it must be done this way or that way, then there really isn't much to back up what you are saying, and people look at your criticism as an offensive opinion, rather than productive help. "And get rid of the star. It was a rather bad experiment by Razorwing a long time ago." isn't too insightful, nor does it explain why or anything. If however you said "I don't think that star should be there, ... (explanation)" then it would pull out a lot more progress, rather than seemingly putting someone's work down.
08-28-2006, 12:17 AM,

Yes, regardless of your oppinion of how you come across, if others read it differently, then you need to take another look at how you say things.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-28-2006, 03:37 AM,

I've been blunt before with other projects seperate from this, or Oblivion, or even The Elder Scrolls. It's usually evolves that way due to an inability of a person being criticised to handle the criticism. Here's an example. A guy I know online was making a Star Trek starship model, which I couldn't even begin to do myself. He showed me a work in progress, and I found some areas that needed some improvements and adjustments to match the actual ship. Padding my criticism with plenty of positive comments, I gently indicated the areas that could use improvement.

His response? "Well, fuck, you try to do this sometime!" I was completely taken aback. It turns out he was having a bad day, but it still knocked me for a loop.

Now, I don't know Axen, nor do I presume to analyze how he thinks, but I have seen a few times where his criticism wasn't so blunt, and the receiver totally blew him off-- even going on the offensive. Before you write him or his attention to details you don't want criticised off, try to take it for what it is and learn from it.

Just my two cents on the matter.

-Jon
08-28-2006, 05:11 PM,

Cluttermonkeys rejoice Wink
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM,

Hah! What building is that supposed to be the interior of? Just a regular hut?

It's about time the Dunmer got some homes big enough to live in. Big Grin
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
08-28-2006, 06:55 PM,

I always thought most Dunmer were poor.... and lived in little homes... mostly one roomed...
but for some reason the Redoran buildings seem bigger than in TES3... how come?
I'm not against but I just started thinking aout it ... Smile
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM,

Well, in TES4, almost everything is scaled up compared to the player. Smile
08-28-2006, 07:09 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
I always thought most Dunmer were poor.... and lived in little homes... mostly one roomed...
but for some reason the Redoran buildings seem bigger than in TES3... how come?
I'm not against but I just started thinking aout it ... Smile
Maybe after the Cliffracers were driven out a sudden flood of tourists invaded Morrowind and the state budget was increased substantially. Bigger homes for everyone! Big Grin
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
08-28-2006, 09:05 PM,

I figured they mostly built their own homes or inherited them. If you build your own out of mud, there's no limit to how big you can make it, other than the extents of your property.

...and if you know where to get cheap mud. Big Grin
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.