Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinstalling Oblivion
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM,
Reinstalling Oblivion
Ok, I've decided to re-install my Oblivion, and maybe try out a few new mods and update the ones I have. My install is a huge mess at the moment, and it would be nice to have a clean slate to work with. Here's what I have planned:
  • Skyrim for Oblivion Big Grin

• The latest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. I have a really ancient version, and it would be nice to have a more up to date version.

• Supreme Magicka - I'll probably be playing a pure mage, and this seems like the way to go without overpowering magic.

• The Lost Spires - I have an older version, but I've never actually completed the questline.

• Blood and Mud - Same as above

• Verona House Bloodlines - Never played it, but people seem to rave about how awesome it is.

• Tears of the Fiend - I love this mod, but never completed more than a third of it.

• DarkUI + wz's grid inventory and a colored map mod for SI and Cyrodiil.

• Any UL mods that don't conflict with another mod.

A few things are missing though.

I need a few good town mods since Shezrie has pulled her towns from public release and is now charging people to sign up to her site to download them. I also need some good house mods that would suit a mage character (either free or quest houses would be best) - I would have used ORE for this in the past, but for non-paying member's it's rather useless now. I also like quest mods (although I never finish them). And finally (this may be a long shot) but are there any decent mage clothing mods for male characters? Any other must have recommendations are welcome.
07-06-2008, 07:47 PM,
RE: Reinstalling Oblivion
I would recommend installing Streamline 3.1, it gives a very nice performance boost (though it screws with the lights and grass, so it will take some tweaking).

*Back up your Skyrim files, when I emptied out my data folders and then redownloaded our esm, all the armor meshes from the esm 1.0 were missing. You're one of the few people that still has them on your comp.

*Supreme Magicka- this mod did some really nice stuff for me, but it also caused a whole lot of CTD's. Admittedly, it may have been a conflict between Streamline of some strange sort, as I didn't start running into the CTDs until I ran them together.

--------------
Good Quest Mods

Kvatch Rebuilt- Enough said, its been in development since Oblivion launched. Excellent mod.

Origin of the Mages Guild- This is a mod by Giskard that expands alot of the mages guild content and adds in new quests for Arch-Mage characters.

The Necromancer- Another mod by Giskard that adds in repeatable necromancer questlines (haven't tried this one myself as I don't play a necro).

The Elder Council- This mod expands the elder council, adds in embassies from all the different province and other similar things. It allows you to rise to the rank of duke by completing quests for the Empire. It also adds in the city of Arenthia to the game.

For mage clothing check out slof's robe trader for some nice non-revealing mage clothes. If you can stomach nipple rings on a man you might also check out Slof's Male Clothes, there a cool purple robe in there. Also Midas Magic adds in some very nice new spells to the game.

BTW, I happen to have a copy of Woodland Village on my computer that I could email you.
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM,

I've worked with Giskard a lot and his stuff really sticks closely to Oblivion lore. He has an uncanny knack for providing some much-needed expansions where Bethesda should have put them in in the first place. I am also biased because I do a lot of voice work for him although I wish he'd let me in on when he needs stuff doing more frequently as opposed to rushing ahead because, by his own admission, his own voice just isn't up to much.

Remember to download version 14 of Lost Spires from the actual website. This one is fully voice acted (again, all but one male voice is done by me) and is very much the complete article.

Finally, one of my clear favourites has been 'Gates to Aesgaard'. I can't believe you wouldn't want to complete this one as it's ground-breaking, technically-excellent and very, very well conceived. Watch out for the gorgeous little Nord village trapped between mountains about half-way through. Fantastic work all-round with points of interest for Skyrim! Oh, and I'll be voicing part 2 as well once Priest909 returns from Greek national service...

P.S. As I'm on a bit of 'look at me' post here, you may wish to take a look at brucevayne's Oblivion Sound Sets if you've ever wanted your PC to speak or Oblivion Companion Sets if you've ever wanted your companion to speak. I would recommend Indarion or possibly my own Borrodin (a magic-using Paladin).
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-08-2008, 12:33 AM,

Wow thanks for all the suggestions, this is bound to keep me busy for a while!

Quote:*Back up your Skyrim files, when I emptied out my data folders and then redownloaded our esm, all the armor meshes from the esm 1.0 were missing. You're one of the few people that still has them on your comp.
I did that as soon as the very idea of re-installing the game entered my mind. Smile There is actually a worrying amount of stuff missing from the version 2.9/3 release series... I'll be sure to package the thing better in future. Luckily now that everything except Skyrim is in OMOD format, it's much easier to see what belongs to what mod.

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Finally, one of my clear favourites has been 'Gates to Aesgaard'. I can't believe you wouldn't want to complete this one as it's ground-breaking, technically-excellent and very, very well conceived. Watch out for the gorgeous little Nord village trapped between mountains about half-way through. Fantastic work all-round with points of interest for Skyrim! Oh, and I'll be voicing part 2 as well once Priest909 returns from Greek national service...
I downloaded that and it looks good, but I get the feeling that my level one character would just get owned as soon as I started the first quest. It's the same with Kvatch rebuilt, I wanted to start playing but when I tried to do the MQ Kvatch mission I got completely destroyed by the first clanfear I ran into... OOO sure is tough. It's the same with most quest mods though, I'm going to need to level up quite a bit before I can play any of them. Sad Oh, and I made sure to get the very latest version of the lost spires. I didn't want to miss out on the new voice acting. =) All of Giskards mods are on my 'to download' list.

Quote:For mage clothing check out slof's robe trader for some nice non-revealing mage clothes. If you can stomach nipple rings on a man you might also check out Slof's Male Clothes, there a cool purple robe in there. Also Midas Magic adds in some very nice new spells to the game.
I downloaded all of those and they're brilliant. All of Slof's stuff is amazing, even if it doesn't suit my tastes.

Quote:BTW, I happen to have a copy of Woodland Village on my computer that I could email you.
I'll probably install the UL mod that goes in the same location, so I can live without it.
07-09-2008, 12:16 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Alasdair
Quote:BTW, I happen to have a copy of Woodland Village on my computer that I could email you.
I'll probably install the UL mod that goes in the same location, so I can live without it.

If you're talking about the Great Forest, I've been able to run them both together without any conflict.
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM,

I think it's Ancient Redwoods that's in the same area but if it doesn't conflict then it would be nice if you could email it to me. Blush

I do have a copy in my oblivion folder backup, but trying to extract it would be problematic.
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM,

Hate to jump on the topic like this but do you think I can get a copy of the woodland village? I had to recently reinstall and lost my copy. And I'm going mad because it was my favorite village mod =P