Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release 4
06-29-2005, 10:01 PM,
Release 4
Alright everybody,

and here it finally is: the new internal release!

:alert: Full download (bugfixed as of July 20th):alert:

It's the full package: app. 370 MB of Silgrad Tower, treated with 7z to turn it into a nice little 115 MB package.

What is new in this version (which comes without any readme ... lazy me Wink )?

- literally dozens of bugs are fixed now ... though there are still enough left to keep me occupied for the next weeks Wink

- I eradicated a few hundred typos ... and probably added some new ones myself :dunce:

- three new interiors from Reena have been added to the Redoran farm in Ahunor Valley -21, -3 (they need a proper name though, but I wanted to have them in the game anyway)

- added the Jarnhald Mountains from Ben Vagara

- I fixed about 100 icons, which had defective backgounds

- ... erm ... nothing I can remember right now Blush

My gratitude to anyone who contributed and / or reported a bug and a special "Thank you" to Elathia, Razorwing and - last, but definitely not least - The Nerevarine, whose keen eye for even the smallest detail still amazes me and whose detailed reports made a tedious job a lot easier. I owe you, guys!

And a big hug for the Lady Luck, who kept my spirit up and running in a moment when I thought that I screwed up everything and all my work was in vain.

And now ... have fun, everyone. :cheers:

Oh, lest I forget: should you stumble over glitches, bugs etc., please report them here

Greetings

Quentin

Ed.Rw 050720, 18:20 C.E.T.: Updated with an ESP fix which solves the line break problems.
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
07-01-2005, 01:08 AM,

Thanks for the flowers Smile

erm...
And here comes the first bug for 1.4:

when i try to download that internal release by directly clicking on it, my browser tries to display it's binary content. when i try to save it by "save link target as..." from the context menu i get a errormessage saying: "The Link could not be saved. The webpage might have been removed or had it's name changed."

Could you please either give "internal_1.4" a proper file extension (the easy way) or change the dl.cgi to transmit the proper mime information (the elegant way)?

Greetings
TN
07-01-2005, 01:57 AM,

Great job Quentin! :goodjob:

Quote:Originally posted by The Nerevarine
erm...
And here comes the first bug for 1.4:

when i try to download that internal release by directly clicking on it, my browser tries to display it's binary content. when i try to save it by "save link target as..." from the context menu i get a errormessage saying: "The Link could not be saved. The webpage might have been removed or had it's name changed."

Could you please either give "internal_1.4" a proper file extension (the easy way) or change the dl.cgi to transmit the proper mime information (the elegant way)?

Greetings
TN

Maybe it would be easier if you got a browser that worked? I don't see any problems with opening a secondary browser when the main one doesn't work for something in particular. If you ask me, that makes a lot more sense than us trying to fix something that isn't broken.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-01-2005, 02:06 AM,

Hm, hm ... it seems that our precautions against leechers have some "interesting" side effects (I for example get an 'Internal Server error' which is somehow related to my firewall settings).

I hope that Valderon has an idea ... *waves frantically*

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
07-01-2005, 02:14 AM,

I don't know what causes the problems on your end, Quentin, but I'm downloading the release without a hitch right now... so it must be working, I think?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
07-01-2005, 02:34 AM,

I'm getting binary also, and it's pretty scary-looking. I'm using Firefox as my browser, and as we all know, Firefox is de bomb.
"It's only wrong if you suck at it."
07-01-2005, 02:37 AM,

Actually... I can't open the .7z I downloaded. The "other one" the other day worked fine, but this archive won't open.

Very strange.
Angel mired in filth
07-01-2005, 05:40 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Maybe it would be easier if you got a browser that worked? I don't see any problems with opening a secondary browser when the main one doesn't work for something in particular. If you ask me, that makes a lot more sense than us trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Actually, it is broken. The http header comes with a mime type declaration of "text/plain" but we have a binary file. My browser works, as he displays a text/plain directly into the browser window.

There a two ways to repair that.
Either, the save way, you add the extention 7z at the end of the line beginning with application/octet-stream of the servers mime configuration (<APACHE_HOME>/conf/mime.types) so it knows to handle this exotic file type as binary).
Or, the more general way, you change the DefaultType setting within the Apache conifiguration (<APACHE_HOME>/conf/httpd.conf) to application/octet-stream (The default is text/plain for all filetypes unknown to the mime configurtion table. That is what causes the "binary on screen" problem.) what would cause the apache to send all unknown formats as binary.
The second way is a bit more dangerous as you have to be sure, that you never have relied on the default as text/plain behaviour.

Ed.Razorwing 050702, 02:38 C.E.T.: Thank God I can defer that to Valderon with good conscience :]
07-01-2005, 05:41 PM,

*sigh* Why does it have to happen the first time I set up a new release ... I'm going to turn the release into a self-extracting .exe file and upload it again.

Cross your fingers that this will solve the first bug of version 1.4 Wink

Greetings

Quentin
07-01-2005, 07:00 PM,

Good luck! *Crosses fingers*
"It's only wrong if you suck at it."