Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for ambient sound effect
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM,
Request for ambient sound effect
I would like to request a looping, ambient sound effect for the Lampfungus plant, originally modelled and textured by Brillo for his unreleased but ambitious N'Dib Morrowind mod.

In our mod, the Lampfungus will grow in the Deepen Moor region, a large bog in the center of our landmass. The bog is immersed in a perpetual fog, and I figured the Lampfungus would add to the mystique -- but an ambient sound emanating from the lights would heighten it even more, hence my request. Smile

It would be spot-on if it sounds swamp-like but somewhat mysterious and unnerving (but not as unnerving as to sound like horror or sound like danger).

It needs to be a wav file of the following exact specifications (else it won't work in the game):
Bitrate: 705kbps
Audio sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 44 KHz
Audio format: PCM

It should preferrably be no longer than ten seconds due to the filesize. The more even it is the better, because it shouldn't sound like the sound effect is pulsating from the light.

Thanks in advance Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-13-2007, 01:58 AM,

I love sound and stuff! I'll give it a shot if that's okay.

Edit: FORGET CONSENT. Here I go.
"It's only wrong if you suck at it."
02-13-2007, 02:31 AM,

Great, thanks a bunch man! :cheers:
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM,
RE: Request for ambient sound effect
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
It needs to be a wav file of the following exact specifications (else it won't work in the game):
Bitrate: 705kbps
Audio sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 44 KHz
Audio format: PCM
Ah maybe thats why most of the Fx effects i found for my mod dont work, cheers.

Does anyone know a good free converter so i can get them to work Big Grin.

EDIT: Also razorwing have you moddeled an ingredient for this fungus, if you have could i plz use the mesh in my valenwood mod Smile

If you want the normalled/scaled textures for the other ingredients (didn't change this as it was fine) then plz download the ValenwoodIslands ESM or if that is too large i will send you a link.

Also note that there is a glow map for this this mesh but you havn't changed the emisive colour from black so it has no effect Cool change it to orange like the texture

Tom
02-13-2007, 10:57 PM,

windsurfer: It might be. Morrowind was equally picky about the specifications for wavs. Perhaps you can find a good freeware convertor on http://www.download.com ?

Thanks for the tip about the emissive color :check:

No, I haven't modelled an ingredient for it. Much like I think Brillo did in his Morrowind mod I plan to use it (in ST) as a Light object, and those don't spawn ingredients. I could have made it a plant and modelled an ingredient for it but then it would need a lightbulb placed manually over it which would undoubtedly cause problems when it is generated over the landscape later on. Plus there'll be so many other flora in the region I plan to use it in that I don't see a problem with keeping it as an ambience plant in ST.

Of course if you just want me to retexture one of the other cubical ingredients with the lampfungus texture that wouldn't be a problem and then you can use it as a plant in Valenwood. I've added havok to all the mushroom ingredients I plan to use btw. If you'd like to have a copy of them I'll post a link to them on the Valenwood board when they're finished. Smile

I don't have a need for normal maps, but if you guys worked on the specular maps I'd be very interested in using them over on our end. The specular maps I made for them locally are okay - I just messed with the brightness/contrast - but they can't compare to handmade specular maps.
Angel mired in filth
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM,

windsurfer: It might be. Morrowind was equally picky about the specifications for wavs. Perhaps you can find a good freeware convertor on http://www.download.com ?

No, I haven't modelled an ingredient for it. Much like I think Brillo did in his Morrowind mod I plan to use it (in ST) as a Light object, and those don't spawn ingredients.

Of course if you just want me to retexture one of the other cubical ingredients with the lampfungus texture that wouldn't be a problem and then you can use it as a plant in Valenwood. I've added havok to all the mushroom ingredients I plan to use btw. If you'd like to have a copy of them I'll post a link to them on the Valenwood board when they're finished. Smile

I don't have a need for normal maps, but if you guys worked on the specular maps I'd be very interested in using them over on our end. The specular maps I made for them locally are okay - I just messed with the brightness/contrast - but they can't compare to handmade specular maps.
I will have a look what i can find to convert the wav file.

Thats not a problem, i will do the same i think but without the light just the glow map. I want them to be subtle maybe a very gentle one? I just thought it was worth asking Big Grin

I could easily do that rextexture and i'm sure you have much more important things to do Smile .The ones you have posted already have havok?

Specular maps? Didn't know they were needed, just read up on them and they are just detailed normal maps right? Ive never moddeled or textured until about 4 months ago when i got into oblivion modding so everything is new to me. I found a tut on how to create them from the normal maps so i may try. Although they look great ingame just with a normal map.

EDIT: I got a convertor which can convert to 44 khz 16 bit mono but it says at this the kb/sec is 86? Are you sure those figurs are correct. I will try it anyway and see.

EDIT2: Actually dont worry not they have converted i looked in the details and they are at 705 kb/s how odd :eek:

Thanks Anyway,
Tom
02-15-2007, 05:51 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by windsurfer
I could easily do that rextexture and i'm sure you have much more important things to do Smile .The ones you have posted already have havok?

I tend to mix up the terms and say collision when I mean havok-style collision and havok when I mean physics. Yes they have havok-style collision, but they act as statics (which is a bad thing).

Specular maps? Didn't know they were needed [...] I found a tut on how to create them from the normal maps so I may try.

They do liven things up a bit Smile
No the specular map is a grayscale image that controls how much and where the surface glistens / shines. If you check out the bread loaf texture (textures\clutter\bread01_n.dds) it doesn't have an alpha channel, so the bread looks dull. Which is fine, because bread neither shines nor glistens; but metal do, like on Anvil's castle door (textures\architecture\anvil\anvilcastledoor01_n.dds).

Perhaps you were thinking of parallax maps, which (like normal maps) have to do with creating the illusion of depth. They go in the alpha channel of the color map, i.e., you can't have opacity and parallax on the same surface.

EDIT: I got a convertor which can convert to 44 khz 16 bit mono but it says at this the kb/sec is 86? Are you sure those figurs are correct. I will try it anyway and see.

EDIT2: Actually dont worry not they have converted I looked in the details and they are at 705 kb/s how odd :eek:

The figures I posted are the same as the ones that show up in the file details when right-clicking on a sound effect made by Bethesda.
Angel mired in filth
02-15-2007, 10:05 AM,

I tend to mix up the terms and say collision when I mean havok-style collision and havok when I mean physics. Yes they have havok-style collision, but they act as statics (which is a bad thing).

That would be great then, i thought i had tested them ingame but them maybe not yet.

They do liven things up a bit Smile
No the specular map is a grayscale image that controls how much and where the surface glistens / shines. If you check out the bread loaf texture (textures\clutter\bread01_n.dds) it doesn't have an alpha channel, so the bread looks dull. Which is fine, because bread neither shines nor glistens; but metal do, like on Anvil's castle door (textures\architecture\anvil\anvilcastledoor01_n.dds).

Perhaps you were thinking of parallax maps, which (like normal maps) have to do with creating the illusion of depth. They go in the alpha channel of the color map, i.e., you can't have opacity and parallax on the same surface.
That makes sense, i let the plugin auto generate it (height), then darkern it for wood etc. So i'm doing it without realising.
I did try parralaxing but the texture i did looked like a sort of liquid after i had done it so i scraped that for a later time.

The figures I posted are the same as the ones that show up in the file details when right-clicking on a sound effect made by Bethesda.
Its fine now when converted they were at the right bitrate.

Thanks for all the help,
Tom
05-30-2007, 05:29 PM,

Sorry to dig up old thread but could i have the havoked ingredients, as that would be very useful. Cheers Tom
05-31-2007, 04:44 AM,

Sorry to dig up old thread but could I have the havoked ingredients, as that would be very useful. Cheers Tom

They've been in our mod for a long time now, but I attached a copy of them. They are the following five files:
\Oblivion\Data\meshes\ST\Ingredients\Shroom\MooncapFlesh.nif
\Oblivion\Data\meshes\ST\Ingredients\Shroom\Tef.nif
\Oblivion\Data\meshes\ST\Ingredients\Shroom\TkapodFlesh.nif
\Oblivion\Data\meshes\ST\Ingredients\Shroom\TkapodSpores.nif
\Oblivion\Data\meshes\ST\Ingredients\Shroom\Woodear.nif
Angel mired in filth