Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rickious concepts - Various
05-02-2008, 10:28 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Rickious
Buster, did you get any further with the bug?

Also can you simply explain how you make a model like this animated and jointed so it walks, attacks etc? :confused:
It would have to have a new skeleton created, or be rigged to an existing one. If it had a new skeleton in would need new animations, if it was rigged to an existing one it would use the animations associated with that.

I'm not sure if there's an existing creature that would have a suitable skeleton for that. Either way it's a lot of hard work.

Then there'd be the issue of getting it to fly. Oblivion doesn't support flying creatures, the best you can get is faked flying like the imp.
05-02-2008, 10:44 PM,

nick_op, thats great thanks. I ask as i have started modelling but at the moment architecture only. Can you tell me where to find a tutorial or anything on rigging a bipedal creatures as i am keen to learn this. Have loads of ideas and dont wanna put it all on other people, would like to be able to present finished products for CS modders to use.
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Concept artist, 3D modeller.

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
Working On= Currently training and improving my 3D skills and seeking a career!
05-02-2008, 11:06 PM,

I'm afraid I don't have a tutorial to point you to. What I know is from messing around with different things. This is what I know:

I'd check to see if there is an existing creature with a suitable skeleton - the imp comes to mind. If you can adjust your model slightly to fit the skeleton I'd go for it. It save you from making loads of animations.

If there is no suitable skeleton, you're going to need to make one from bones. I can't give much help with this, I'm just learning it myself.

You need to use the 'skin' modifier to rig the model to a skeleton. I think the skin modifier is required by Oblivion for rigged stuff, I son't think any other methods will work. This allows you to paint weights to the vertices, to allocate how much control each bone has over each vertex. This process should be done after the geometry is set in stone - changing geometry after rigging is easy enough, adding more will require you to paint weights for the new stuff.

I'll point you to this, it's a tutorial that I followed will helped me get a working creature in game, albeit with only one simple animation. It's for Max, however.

I hope some of this helps.
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM,

thanks, I will be designing and creating from scratch so it is easier to create while thinking of an existing creature with good animations. I will let you know how i get on and thanks for the link! =)
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
05-31-2008, 02:35 PM,

Big Grin awsome stuff one more step to make the face sucker a reality Tongue

great concepts

:worship:
bow to the modeler and the cocnepts
Dance in the fire
06-26-2008, 12:17 PM,

Cheers Tarek, and just to say to all, busy being an ameateur archetect at the moment designing our house for our BIG move to live in the jungles of Borneo. Gonna be there for most of july so definitely wont hear from me for a while.

I will be back, sooner or later! Smile STAY TUNED!
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM,

Bloody brilliant stuff, guys! I'd not seen this thread before so I never knew what great work the likes of Rickious and BusterWolf were up to. More insects are certainly welcome! :goodjob:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
06-26-2008, 04:41 PM,

Well bloody thanks! :goodjob:

Gonna be a while till im back onboard proper but will try and get some inspiration and photos in the jungle as im back on Borneo throughout July. I may attempt a few drawings and a model or two soon...
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
06-29-2008, 08:10 AM,

good luck mate

stay safe
Dance in the fire
06-29-2008, 08:43 AM,

Will do. will put links to photos and vids on here on my return!
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4