Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rickious modelling - Rhino to blender?
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM,
Rickious modelling - Rhino to blender?
Hi all. long time no post! Anyway, i have been using Rhino 3D daily for about a month now doing various projects for fun, practice and also future use for portfolios, house design etc. So... finally back to thinking about TES and found an article on exporting Rhino3D to blender3D which im sure will help. The wall i hit with my designs were then the textures i applied in Rhino were being inverted an alsorts when exporting for TES, so this time i am going to give a different option a try. Model in Rhino, Texture in Blender, mail to Razorwing for inspection. I will use a basic sample at firsts with a few complex shapes, several textures etc and if that works im back on!

QUESTIONS:
Can i normal map in Blender?

cheers all! Big Grin
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Concept artist, 3D modeller.

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
Working On= Currently training and improving my 3D skills and seeking a career!
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM,

Hurray to the return of Rickious =) !!!!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-12-2008, 04:58 PM,

Good to have you back! Smile

You can normal map in Blender - you create a high poly version of the model with all of the detail built in and (somehow) turn it into a normal map. I can't give more detail as I've never done it myself.
09-12-2008, 05:59 PM,

Thanks you two, Nick_op, no worries, just wanted to know Blender did em as its a good tool for oblivion! Smile
-------------------
Rickious
AKA Richard Howard

Concept artist, 3D modeller.

Modder prefix= RH
3Dapp= Rhino
2Dapp= Corel Photopaint
Moddng= TES4
Working On= Currently training and improving my 3D skills and seeking a career!
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM,

Good to have you back with us, Rickious Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-14-2008, 08:27 AM,

no one answered his question yet... its just hi's and hello's, not thats anything wrong we all love you here and we all missed you. So yeah welcome back from me too.
:wave:

Well, back to the question.Who knows thw answer? >.>
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
09-14-2008, 09:21 AM,

I believe making a normal map is possible, but I only started trying to learn Blender a few days ago. This wiki should have more information. I've been using it to learn and its quite good.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Great to see you back in action!
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM,

Unfortunately the Noob to Pro tutorials doesn't have a page regarding normal maps built from geometry (it demonstrates a hacky workaround, similar to what I have to do in Max 6), so we'll need someone who's done it before to come along with the specifics.
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM,

Ah, I didn't know that. Are they a good guide for the other stuff, though? Or is there a better one you know of?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-14-2008, 02:02 PM,

As far as I know, it's one of the better guides on the internet, but as it's a wiki there are some gaps.

I will look into how to generate normal maps from geometry in Blender though. I need a way to do it as Max 6 can't. Using geometry normal maps as a base and adding to them in Photoshop/GIMP is much more effective than using one generated entirely in a 2d app.