Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rootworm Travel Cost
04-18-2010, 04:49 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Sounds Good, I have a quick question, I think IG mentioned it but cannot remember LOL.

So is the player going to directly interact with the rootworm or is there going to be an NPC the player talks too?

If it's the latter then there will not be any need for a script since it can all be done through dialogue.

The idea is that the player talks to the rootworm guide near the rootworm, chooses their destination and pays the fee. Then the player jumps into the rootworms mouth (yes, you need to put a rock or ramp or something so the player can literally jump into the worm's mouth - and they must time the jump too - more interactive and fun this way, me thinks). The players walks into the back of the worm's throat, where I have already set up a trigger collision layer. When the player walks/runs into this trigger collision layer, then they are transported to the destination they chose. I would put XMarkers next to each rootworm, to specifiy the spots where the player should appear at each destination.

I started working on scripting this a loooong time ago, but I never finished it nor tested what I did end up with. InsanitySorrow, just in case, I'll send you the scripting stuff i did manage to finish via PM shortly, so you see what I had in mind. You don't have to go with anything in my scripts though, it's just to be helpful.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
04-18-2010, 05:02 PM,

Actually, Koniption just jogged my memory about something. We still have Sachiel's cave tileset in the archive which I don't think I've fully incorporated into the CS yet. This was thought to be the potential cave tileset that the other rootworms would found in. I can set these up for you if you wish, or you can do this yourself. One thing though, I created a small cave way back that I think it would be good to use (if I can find this old esp) so hang on a bit till I see if I can find it....

Edit - Nope, I think I lost it. No matter. It was only a small creation. Anyway, you could use this tileset if you wished.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-18-2010, 06:59 PM,

Is it possible to make an esp enabling fast travel for Playtesters???
04-18-2010, 07:16 PM,

Most likely, yes. We'll see what IS comes up with first. =)
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
04-18-2010, 08:48 PM,

It seems as though there will be a mixture of things here, KP has expressed interest in making the player actually enter the rootworms mouth for the travel, so my idea is to incorporate that with the NPC.

So the idea is you talk to the NPC, pick your choice of destination, you pay the NPC and then to initiate the actual travel you have to jump into the worms mouth. When you enter you trigger a triggerzone and then transported to your destination of choice.

It should actually be very simple this, a mixture of dialogue and a small script.

Though I am unsure about the player timing the jump, need some more detail there.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
04-18-2010, 08:57 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
It seems as though there will be a mixture of things here, KP has expressed interest in making the player actually enter the rootworms mouth for the travel, so my idea is to incorporate that with the NPC.

So the idea is you talk to the NPC, pick your choice of destination, you pay the NPC and then to initiate the actual travel you have to jump into the worms mouth. When you enter you trigger a triggerzone and then transported to your destination of choice.

It should actually be very simple this, a mixture of dialogue and a small script.

Though I am unsure about the player timing the jump, need some more detail there.

The timing of the jump is not so hard. The rootworm is animated to open and close it's mouth, and swings its head left and right a little - but it does all this relatively slowly. The player has to jump into the mouth while it's opened and within range. I usually just put an angled rock (so the player can jump onto and walk upwards on the rock) right smack in front of the rootworm while the worm is in its neutral pose (facing straight ahead), so that the top of the rock is level with the bottom teeth of the rootworm. I also put the rock slightly back away from the worm's mouth, but not too far, so that the player has to jump.

KP
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM,

Sounds cool :goodjob:
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]