Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRAC05 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" Old discussion IG
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM,

Thanks for the platform model, RW :goodjob: . This is just to announce that I started a little work on this claim today and made a small lake that, if I took up Claim 4 would wind its way through down to the sea.

However, I wanted to ask sandor if I was okay using the Great Forest rocks that I used for Whiplash Gorge to create a more narrow, rock-lined section of the path? We had agreed to use the rocks only in watery areas and this lake is nearby but only by the side of the road.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM,

I think I must be going insane! I just couldn't find Texian's water meshes anywhere, even though I used them in the last claim I did. The .nif files are there in the correct location as Data\meshes\ST\Environment but they were nowhere to be found in either the 'Activators' category or the 'Static' category. I've got all the bsa's downloaded and being used but they were still nowhere to be found......wtf? ?(

So I clicked and dragged them into the 'Static' location and...bingo...they suddenly appeared...and yet, surely we've already got these active in the current versions of the .esm and .bsa....is this a worry?

Edit - btw, I'm looking for a small, brick bridge to put over a stream, preferably hump-backed. Does anyone know of a good model to use? I'm assuming the StExComBridge01 is reserved for the actual city of Steadhelm only. Then again, even if it were available, it might not suit....hmmm.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-20-2008, 11:08 AM,

Progress Report

Landscaping & Height Editing - Not much to do for this claim, really. I will amend things as I go.
Terrain Texturing - 5-6 cells have now been fully textured (51,5 - 51,7 & 52,5 - 52,7).
Main features (with map markers) - One Ruin (Sarathul Nur). At least one cave and one Fort Ruin still to come.
Flora - Nothing added, although I noticed there are some slough ferns already present.
Enemies & Pathgridding - Nothing done.
Vertex Shading - Nothing done.

Extra Information - Cells 55,3 - 55,5 and 56,3 - 56,5 have already been completed within the final .esp for Claim 6.

I got two possible bridges and I'd really appreciate some feedback on which one to go for. Or, if there is a hump-backed bridge then that would probably suit best. Here are screenies of the two options so far anyway. Bear in mind that these are CS screenies so the quality isn't absolutely brilliant.

This stream begins from a high point to the far West of the claim and crosses the path. You can follow it down to a small lake where there is a Velothi Ruin nearby.

P.S. I removed the trees on the last shot so you could see a possible idea I had of creating a 'Bandit's crossing' that might lead to an abandoned treehouse across the rocky pass. What do you think of this idea? Bear in mind that I am probably better off using the 'Bravil Bridge' models here and also that, whichever bridge I use, it will probably bump up the facecount quite high for such an already highly-modded area (about 250-300 thousand).
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM,

More screenies from the game itself. This is still very much a WiP as there are various problems with the ridiculous tileset of the Fort (which never seems to match up the pieces properly) and the stream (which needs a 'no grass' texture to stop the damn grass sprouting through it).
09-21-2008, 09:50 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
However, I wanted to ask sandor if I was okay using the Great Forest rocks that I used for Whiplash Gorge to create a more narrow, rock-lined section of the path? We had agreed to use the rocks only in watery areas and this lake is nearby but only by the side of the road.
I don't like the idea of more vanilla content (see below), so the answer is no.
Further I asked you to discuss the new assets via PM because I am very busy with both RL and ST. As I said before, it will sometimes take a few days before I reply (claims threads).

Quote:Originally written by sandor via PM on September 3th
RE: SHRAC06

Quote:Originally written by Ibsen's Ghost
I've seen a decent amount of OB's Great Forest rocks already present in the Steadhelm claims...
I replaced most of these types a few months ago (except for one or two).

When I generated the SH/SC area a lot of the custom assets weren't ready so I had to use placeholders.

The remaining rocks will be replaced in due time (for SH as well).

Quote:Originally written by Ibsen's Ghost
I've already used rocks from this set in the past, just not to this extent.

I noticed that when I reviewed SHRAC07/08.
Normally I don't grant new claims before I reviewed the WiP versions.
This won't happen again.

Because of that you may use the great forest rocks in the streams and rivers. Outside the streams and rivers the BC coast rocks have to be used.

For the forts you have to use the ST tilesets (new claims) except for the two existing fort claims.

If you want to introduce new assets discuss it via PM before you start to use these in your claims.
I allowed these vanilla rocks so you didn't have to redo the modded content.

Why?
Our regions should be unique and our assets have to be used. Further Razorwing and others spent many, many hours on our assets and it's kind of cynical to prefer vanilla content over our own assets.

Only where there's no alternative, like for the city and the Fort ruins (exterior) the vanilla content may be used.

Please adjust the modded content accordingly.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
09-21-2008, 11:04 AM,

Sorry about that. I sent a PM.
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM,

Sorry about that. I sent a PM.
I received your PM, I'll check the esp and reply tomorrow.

I think I must be going insane! I just couldn't find Texian's water meshes anywhere, even though I used them in the last claim I did. The .nif files are there in the correct location as Data\meshes\ST\Environment but they were nowhere to be found in either the 'Activators' category or the 'Static' category. I've got all the bsa's downloaded and being used but they were still nowhere to be found......wtf? ?(

So I clicked and dragged them into the 'Static' location and...bingo...they suddenly appeared...and yet, surely we've already got these active in the current versions of the .esm and .bsa....is this a worry?
You defined the activators and the mangrove trees in your SHRAC06 esp.
These are available after the merge to the esm.

It means you created duplicate entries (SHRAC05) for these objects.
Make sure you give these another ID than the ID's you used for SHRAC06.
We'll fix this in later stage.

Every new entry you create has to start with your modding ID 'StIg'.

EditI'm assuming the StExComBridge01 is reserved for the actual city of Steadhelm only.
That's correct.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
09-21-2008, 05:48 PM,

Okay thanks, I'll rename the water meshes.

Thanks for the decision about the bridge. That makes things easier actually. Although I may opt for a stone bridge rather than the wooden Bravil option.

I shall await your PM. I'm going to be pretty busy at work for a while anyway, so I couldn't do much work on this even if I wanted to :poorme: .
10-15-2008, 06:48 PM,

Okay, issues, work, other modding and more issues have delayed this update.

I have altered the rocks used near the ruin and across the path as requested.

More importantly, I set up the central circle of the Bandit tree outpost. However, some of these models remain just temporary placeholders until a more fitting solution is found and the full 'star-shape' has yet to be created (although the rest of the platforms do not present any real problems in modding terms).

A Recap on the Plan

What you have is a complex that surrounds a collapsed Fort Ruin which has been used in the past by Bandits (possibly Dunmer rebelling against Imperial influence) and, once pretty much destroyed so that all that remains are a few rooms used for storage, the Bandits have took to the trees. The whole thing is planned to appear in a series of 'assault platforms with archers' in a star-shaped formation that serves to ambush and harry the PC should they stray into the area or attempt to attack the central complex. Access to which, via the Hoist Basket, is restricted by a key.

Issues with Construction

Besides the difficulties connected to the operations of the Hoist Basket discussed here: Razorwing's Modelling Thread , a few more problems need to be dealt with.

1) The first pic should show the approach to the circle complex, where I was a little worried at first that the archer (a Black Bow Bandit) did not attack but then that's probably because my PC is hard-as-nails and there's no path-gridding.

2) The second and third pics show the route up through the Fort and onto the basket via the Fort's first level. I forgot to write down the command for using this on this play-through so I'll edit the results of usage once I use it.

3) The fourth, fifth and sixth pics show the main platform at the top of the lift. Presently, there is a shack here with the tree-trunk through the roof, but the bricks at the bottom of the shack make this an unlikely residence to use here. I suppose a tent would work okay but it would have to be a tent with an interior for the Bandit Leader.

4) Pics seven to ten show how the platforms in the centre circle are attached by rope-bridges. This is fully operational and usable but the wooden support on the bridge itself are extremely difficult to place and need some sort of wooden support that can fit onto the ends and merge with the platform. However, I'm also a little worried about the clash of colours in the different wood types and that, despite extremely close attention to detail, there is an inevitable seam here. It's not too bad....but the nit-picking player will definitely notice it.

5) For some reason, there are two Bandits as opposed to one. This can be remedied with trial and error if needs be but, more importantly, when I was attacked by coming down the bridge, I hit the Bandit once and he promptly ran straight through the barrier and away to safety. Whilst I was on the ground, some of the Bandits fired at me (as intended) but I hope that the archers don't run through the barrier when they're supposed to be stationed on the platforms.......? A solution to one of these problems is to have archers who are chosen for the long range of their weapons, if this is possible.

I hope these issues are manageable. Please advise on what is possible and how to improve the general playability.
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM,

Thanks for the update. Smile

Please remove/replace the vanilla content as per the decision of the Core.

TIA.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD