Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRAC0603 "Fort of the Broken Hand" [Under revision]
09-21-2008, 12:36 PM,
SHRAC0603 "Fort of the Broken Hand" [Under revision]
Fort of the Broken Hand

Tileset: Moldcave or Velothi Ruins (see details below)
Exterior cell coordinates: (60,7)
Cell Name: SteadhelmRegionAreaClaim0603lvl1, SteadhelmRegionAreaClaim0603lvl2
Claim Difficulty: Easy or Medium (your choice).
Creatures: Creatures or Bandits (although most likely few bandits, except perhaps good swimmers like Argonians). 1-5 for easy levels. 7 or more for Medium.
Amount of Loot: Low or Medium (according to the above).
General Info: Check this link.

Please note that this is merely a placeholder for the actual dungeon claim until my own region claim has been approved and merged so you will not be able to download the ESM that you need to mod just yet.

[Image: BrokenHand01.jpg]
[Image: BrokenHand04.jpg]

[TITLE]Ibsen’s Ghost’s Description & Details[/TITLE]

The Fort of the Broken Hand lies on the Eastern coast of Steadhelm just to the north of where Whiplash Gorge enters the sea. A broken bridge leading part of the way from the shore points the direction. It may once have stood proudly in a shallow area just south of the harbour of Steadhelm and therefore could have provided Imperial ships with a sneaky stop-off point for any illicit activities before entering the region proper.

However, due perhaps to a landslip or a collapse of the dungeon complex below, it now lies mostly underwater and will probably be largely abandoned by humanoids. There may be evidence of human activity, particularly a little smuggling but the biggest feature of this dungeon will probably be that much of it could well remain underwater, so there is plenty of opportunity to create a dungeon designed for having much of the action underwater. What you find beyond that is due to you!

The title 'Fort of the Broken Hand' is enigmatic and could reflect either some kind of faction ownership or it's history of being an Imperial stronghold or simply the fact that it lies to the side of Steadhelm's 'body' and has collapsed into the sea.

[TITLE]How should I go about modding the layout?[/TITLE]

You'll find the Fort in the cell SteadhelmRegionFortoftheBrokenHand (58, -3). Use the Silgrad_Tower.esm v3.22 or a higher version. You may add a few things to the exterior, if you wish.

This Fort is different from my previous two in that the prescribed tileset can be either the moldcave or Velothi tileset. Instructions for each of these options follow. However, you also have the option of using just the very beginnings of the Fort Ruin tileset in order to get started and then to create a sort of diversion that is the result of a structural collapse, thus giving way to the different tileset. I will check with RW to see if we can make a separate tile that effectively merges the two tilesets together, if this proves necessary. Anyway, here is the advice for each of the tileset options:

Moldcave Option

For the moldcave tileset, you’ll want to find Razorwing’s moldcave tileset under Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave. Please do not use Oblivion’s generic cave set - we want our entire landmass, dungeons included, to look less like Cyrodiil and more like Morrowind.

Now that you’ve found the tileset, drag the StRwMoldcaveSmTunnelExitNatural piece into the Render window and move it to coordinates 2048, 2048, 4800. That is going to be the dungeon’s starting point. Have two ramp pieces (under Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave->SmallTunnel) leading down from the entrance before modding the main part of your dungeon. Feel free to separate these ramp pieces with a few ordinary small tunnel pieces.

Now that you’re a bit farther underground, you can mod the dungeon layout to your liking. If you want to have a water level in your dungeon, you may change the cell’s settings. If you aren’t sure about how to use the moldcave tileset or where to find certain pieces, feel free to post your questions here in this thread.

In order to make the cave look interesting, you should place several static rock objects (Static->ST->Dungeons->Moldcave->Rocks). I personally, as a player, would like a cave better if it had at least three of these objects per tileset piece placed, but you can probably get away with one per tileset piece placed*. The main idea is to make sure there are enough objects to hold the player's interest. You can also use vines (Static->ST->Flora->Ambient->BitterCoast), cobwebs (Static->ST->Dungeons->Misc), and flora-type mushrooms (Violet Copringus, Luminous Russula, Mooncap, or Drogo Mushroom all found under Flora->ST->Flora->Shroom) in your cave.

The SoluthisLoc001 cells show how a good moldcave dungeon should look, so feel free to look at those if you need some ideas about how your dungeon should look.

*These numbers were rough estimates and may be subject to change later on.

NB - If following the moldcave option, please take a look at my other 'Moldcave' claims for further details about what loot to include and so on. In other words, the rest of the information on this page is designed to suit an Imperial Fort, but you may wish to take a look at more specific information concerning the general layout of the interior option you have chosen.

Velothi Tomb Option

Don't forget to select snap to grid (32-64) and snap to angle, when creating the lay-out for your tomb.

You have to use the new Velothi tileset (Static>>ST>>Velothi>>Interior>>tileset).

It's fine to add more than level just give the new cell the same name, except for the last part and replace lvl1 by lvl2 etc.

(Quoting Sandor): It's possible to include items from the 'MiscItem>>ST' category but only if it's appropriate. This may include things from the Static category like cobwebs and so on. However, modders have to use our own containers (WorldObjects>>Container>>ST) and flora (WorldObjects>>Flora)>>ST etc.
If there's no alternative they may use OB stuff (rare).

For the traps I recommend checking the OB dungeons.
Just right-click on a trap and 'use info' to check the cell in question.

For inspiration check the "SilgradCityRegionLoc0101lvl1" tomb made by Razorwing or this one which provides lots of extra information about Velothi tombs.

NB - If following the Velothi option, please take a look at my other 'Velothi Ruin' claims for further details about what loot to include and so on. In other words, the rest of the information on this page is designed to suit an Imperial Fort, but you may wish to take a look at more specific information concerning the general layout of the interior option you have chosen.

[TITLE]What would I find, in terms of loot, inside a Fort Ruin?[/TITLE]

You should use leveled lists for the loot but the interior may be being used by some person or creature so you may wish to select accordingly. For bandits and other rogues, for example, you can expect illegal items (skooma and moon sugar, for instance), as well as some gems, armor, weapons, gold, and other loot. If renegade mages have taken over the fort, you’d find ingredients, books, potions, and other mage-related items. If the ruin has only the undead, you can add objects from their own history e.g. ancient Dwemer or even Akaviri or Ayleid, although, for the latter, you will need to check with Razorwing and provide a good reason why these non-Morrowind inhabitants have strayed here.

The preferred type of enemy for this ruin is listed at the top of this thread. You might be able to do something else though if you want - just check with me or sandor first and we'll tell you if your idea is appropriate.

[TITLE]How should I light the ruins?[/TITLE]

You should try to use our own candles and our own sconces if possible but your tomb can be as dark or as light as you want it to be, probably depending on whether anyone bothers to maintain it.

However, Fort Ruins are normally quite bright but you may wish to darken things if you want to ensnare the PC in a well-placed trap.

[TITLE]What enemies should I use?[/TITLE]

The function of this ruin is up to you so you may add creatures or bandits. Try to make it interesting for the player, of course but, for the time being, until the quests come to inhabit our dungeons, we must use the leveled lists. They can be replaced later so please let us know if you’d like to use a special bad guy.

[TITLE]Anything else?[/TITLE]

Add a pathgrid to the Fort Ruins. Playtest the entire layout and make any necessary corrections before submitting it for review.

IMPORTANT: Please try to make the Fort Ruin reflect it's status underwater. After all, that should be the fun part as it's quite a novelty!

NB: - Thanks to Sandor and TID for helping out in general and allowing me to use their claims descriptions as a default.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]