Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ShadowDancer's models
07-30-2008, 03:04 AM,

OK, I did some work on the Light_Com_Torch_01, but I am not sure what I did wrong on it because it crashes my CS. I have a 3dsmax scene if anyone wants to take a look at it. Anyhow, here is what it looks like and I would appreciate any opinions on how it looks.
07-30-2008, 07:55 AM,

it looks really bad. There seems to be too many polygons in this model alone. Out of curiosity how many are their? and the texture is not mapped properly and personally not a very good texture selection too. I would chose more of a darker wood, more burnt feeling and for the top thingy keep it a rusty metal.

The reason it crashed CS is probably the amount of poly their is in this mesh. optimize it before sending it in max. I too am a max user so you can give questions and i will answer as best as i can.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM,

You've using too many polygons. You probably only need 12 sides on your cylinders, once you set up smoothing groups it will look smooth. Also, the cones you have used have 5 segments, but you are not using the extra polies to define any shape or anything. Knock them down to 1 segment. The one thing that most people do when they start modelling is use too many polies. It's a hard habit to get out of.

The UV mapping could also use a bit of work to make the texture fit in a more natural way.

The crash in the CS is likely not related to the amount of polygons. There are a huge amount of things that could cause a model to crash the CS, it's most likely a bad export.

Perhaps you should start up your own thread, it would make it easier to keep track of stuff. You could upload your Max scene so someone could take a look at it and point out how to improve it.

If you have any questions about Max, feel free to ask.
07-30-2008, 12:41 PM,

Uhm, actually it worked fine in the CS once I realized I am an idiot. I wasn't thinking and loaded it as a light when it doesn't have a light attached. Apparently the CS hates that. Once I threw it in as a static, it stopped crashing the CS...go figure. :lmao:

I knew the texture wasnt the greatest but I was throwing something on to try and get a look at it in game. Nothing says horrid like seeing it up close in the game. I redid the torch while trying to figure out what was going on with it and greatly reduced a bunch of stuff apparently, since I dropped the file size to 1/5th of the original one I did. This one has 1004 faces which is less than the static model clutter\torch01 which has 1372 faces and no lights or flame nodes attached to it. Here is my better attempt with some in-game screenies. Please let me know how it looks.
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM,

Moderator note: Split into own thread.

Carry on, Big Grin
Steve
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op

The crash in the CS is likely not related to the amount of polygons. There are a huge amount of things that could cause a model to crash the CS, it's most likely a bad export.

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Perhaps you should start up your own thread, it would make it easier to keep track of stuff. You could upload your Max scene so someone could take a look at it and point out how to improve it.

Wow really? cool, you learn something everyday.

Yes starting up a thread would be better and less time consuming due to this thread's randomness towards the visual claims. Just for the sake of being much more cleaner.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
07-30-2008, 01:44 PM,

Thanks SACarrow. I didn't think about it but I should have. Sorry for the clutter in the Open jobs for modellers thread. OK, so I have this brand new torch, and my next question is, how do I manage to add flames and light to it? I have never actually done anything with adding flame nodes or lights to anything before.

@ nick_op: Yeah, I noticed that about the cones when I went back to redo it. Actually, I also cut down the number of sides on the cones as well, and flattened them out to hold the ring on top of the torch. I admit that I wasn't sure about the number of sides to be using and my initial attempt was way over the top. I think I managed a happy medium, at least from the perspective of the static models. And the UV wasn't set up on that first one - I was just trying to make sure I could get it in game. Truthfully, the only other model I have done is a wooden plank, so I am pretty happy with the results on the torch. I definitely have some more learning to do to get proficient at doing modelling.
07-31-2008, 01:26 AM,

Here are some pics of the latest version of the Light_Com_Torch_01. I hope that it is looking better with these textures. Please comment.
07-31-2008, 01:33 AM,

They look good to me. But I am not a moddeler just a user of resources Smile. Good Job.
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by ShadowDancer
Here are some pics of the latest version of the Light_Com_Torch_01. I hope that it is looking better with these textures. Please comment.
It's looking better, though the textures still seem a bit low res. If you want, I can send you a metal texture I've been working on. Though I've just realised all of the textures in that screen are low res, so perhaps you're playing on low settings?

Do you have a list of the lights that you're going to work on? I'd like to pick up a couple at some point, so it'd be nice to know what's being worked on.