Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shadows and Other Stuff
07-27-2007, 02:14 PM,

I believe something called "BUT IT HAS TO WORK ON THE XBOX360" happened. It's a real shame; it's the only area where the engine really fell down graphically.

An ini tweak to turn the shadows on for us in PC land would have been nice.

Quote:Hmm, maybe we should ask the devs about it. They have video cards designed already for next-gen after the 360 that are out, and it would be a cool thing to play with when I get one. I'd also like to use AA and HDR at the same time too like they showed in the videos.

Don't ask the community manager though (GStaff), he's a total noob. He plays on Xbox which is bad enough because he can't go into the CS and check details to know what he's talking about, and worse, as far as I know he hasn't even completed the game.
'Archzz' on Oblivion:
"Lots of you ppl are lucky ur comp runs it.... mine says sumthing about registering online and my ip address....i took it back"
07-27-2007, 05:54 PM,

Well, yeah, he's the community manager, not someone who would really know the game completely, like Todd or someone. I usually only see him in the few legal issues people bring up on the forums.
Lol what?
07-27-2007, 06:02 PM,

It wasn't just a case of "BUT IT HAS TO WORK ON THE XBOX360", it was a case of "IT MUST LOOK AS GOOD ON TEH 360 AS A PC ON MAX SETTINGS". The PC version could have all those cool effects, but then it would look better than the 360 which is a massive no-no for Bethesda.

Quote:He plays on Xbox which is bad enough because he can't go into the CS and check details to know what he's talking about.
I first played the original Morrowind on my trusty xbox, and then I bought GOTY edition for xbox. I only got the PC version of Morrowind once I could afford a new PC. (yes that does mean I have 3 copies of morrowind) Big Grin
07-27-2007, 09:10 PM,

What I don't understand, is that they said the extra features were too much for an X-Box to handle, yet they were doing those videos on one. Maybe they assumed that people would have giant mass-clutter places?
Lol what?
07-27-2007, 09:39 PM,

Yeah, but take into account the game wasn't quite finished then (right?), perhaps they ran into those troubles later on in the game, or perhaps they were thinking about it for a while, and scrapped the idea over time. I imagine it'd be the combat sitations and things like that which would have the most stress on the system, or the exteriors with objects + buildings around (buildings cast shadows too, I think).

Quote:(yes that does mean I have 3 copies of morrowind)
I have four. :banana:
07-28-2007, 04:07 AM,

I had the original XBox Morrowind, then it got sold when I upgraded to GotY edition. I later got Vanilla Morrowind on PC, and much later (relatively recently in fact) got the two expansions for PC.

I own three copies of Morrowind presently, two on PC and one on XBox.
07-28-2007, 05:27 AM,

At first I had a one of those 'classic' Xbox copies of the game, then got GotY around January 06, then I got hold of a cheap budget version of MW for PC around May last year, then bought a special edition of the original game without expansions, then I got the two expansions about Oct-Nov last year. I only paid 99 pence for Bloodmoon!! Brand new too, sealed from PCWorld.

That's like, what $2-ish.
07-28-2007, 07:50 AM,

My Morrowind Story,

My friend played Morrowind. He invited me over his house one day to play a few games, and he pulled out Morrowind. (this was almost 4 years ago) I had only seen it one time before, in a review on Toonami which used to be on the Cartoon Network every day when I was in about 4th grade. So we played Morrowind, and played, and played, and I couldn't take my eyes away, it was the most fun game I've ever played. So I didn't have an X-Box, and I looked it up online, and it was for PC, so I celebrated for about an hour. So I got it, the Game of the Year edition, which my friend didn't have, and I had fun playing endless hours with it. It also gave me the Construction Set, and I kept wondering what it was. I opened it, and it was a huge mess of confusion, I wanted to make a new house but there were no objects, as I didn't know how to properly load a plugin. So one day I went onto the main site, to downloads, and saw all of the cool Morrowind mods. Downloaded them. Then it gave me a link to TESSource. Downloaded those and loved them all. Then I finally figured out how to load a mod in the CS. 'Nuff said.

Now my friend laughs at me because I'm such an addict. Tongue It's all his fault I'm here with you people.
Lol what?
07-28-2007, 08:13 AM,

:lol: I laugh at myself for what I had missed.

I read about Oblivion in a magazine about Sept 05 (pretty late for the games popularity), I really wanted to play like many other fans (I'd no idea what TES was about at the time), but the release wasn't due until November (like that would have ever happened anyway Tongue). I'd heard of Morrowind before, but I didn't know what it was; it didn't sound like a game that would appeal to me, but because it was the previous title from the stunning game I read about and wanted to play, I decided to take a look.

I played the game (MW) for about 30 minutes the first time, put it down, and didn't play it again for about two weeks (I thought it was pathetic (I didn't give it a chance, really)). After playing Fable beforehand, I guess I was expecting an experience sort of like Fable because the themes in both games seemed similar to me (medieval-ish inspired sorta thing). After I learned how the quests and travel system worked for MW, I was intrigued at what I missed over the last few weeks, and wandered around the wilderness a bit. I ended up in Pelagiad with my complete 'n00b' character (I don't use that term often). It was about then, when I bought my first robes, that I realised how in depth the character system seemed. I literally bought tons of random clothing with the money I had, just because it all looked so interesting! It was about this time that I stopped caring about graphics, and played. Damn I'm glad I did now. I guess I should thank that magazine, regardless of the magazine article though, I most likely would have picked up Oblivion eventually, and then tried MW.

I picked up the PC version about... May last year, I think. I'd no idea how to work the CS, after a few tutorials and reading through Srikandi's MW Item Index reference, I got pretty addicted. Tongue I guess I just, grew from there. I started modding for Oblivion January this year. Thanks to ST, I've learned more than I would have ever learned by myself over the past few months, I don't know where I'd have been without the mod.
07-28-2007, 09:46 AM,

Well for me it started when my brother showed me a copy from Morrowind. A friend of his won it at a contest but by mistake he got two copies so he sold one cheap to my brother. When we tried to install it our processor wasn't good enough :'( It took months before we got a new pc, I think it might even been a year. But then Big Grin I remember I walked through Seyda Neen. It started raining and we just (me and my brother) just turned up the volume to listen to it. Then a thunderflash, we both jumped up :lmao:

Ah well so many good memories... Stealing pillows from the pillowlady, turned out to become a pillowcollection of all the inns I slept in and all the houses I visited as a thief...

First time I was attackerd by a cliffracer, freaking out because "MY blade wasn't hitting it and I got no bow!"
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"