Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sjors Boomschors' Blacksmith Wheel
04-12-2009, 08:07 AM,

And what did you think of them, is it useful?
Sjors Boomschors
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sjors Boomschors
And what did you think of them, is it useful?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy in RL for most of the last week and over the easter weekend. Yes I think it will work out nicely Smile I'll post when I've finished animating (and making other edits) to your model.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM,

I've finished working on your Blacksmith's Wheel now, and below is how it turned out. Smile I decided to add new uvw mapping to it. (The table in the background has to do with an unrelated test)

[youtube=center]http://www.youtube.com/v/DfV7ue5834M[/youtube]
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
04-17-2009, 06:23 AM,

It works, but it looks strange. That thing that moves down and back up at the end, is no brake it is there to support a sword or a knife when sharpening it.

Like in this picture:
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement...r-3001.jpg
Sjors Boomschors
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sjors Boomschors
It works, but it looks strange. That thing that moves down and back up at the end, is no brake it is there to support a sword or a knife when sharpening it.

Like in this picture:
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement...r-3001.jpg

Aaah, ok gotcha. Didn't think that part through properly. I'll make a note of changing the animation Smile
Angel mired in filth
04-17-2009, 08:41 PM,

Nice job RW. That is so cool Smile
04-18-2009, 01:21 AM,

Thanks Zurke Smile

odin422 over on youtube said "WOW , just needs sparks....hehe" and I'm kinda inclined to agree that would look cool but the other half of me thinks the coolness of sparks would be cancelled out, and then some, by the fact that the game can't check if a sword is touching it. It would be kinda silly for it to throw sparks when nothing's touching it. I guess for ambience folks could always whack it with their swords when it's spinning, that'll at least make the havok throw sparks.

On a sidenote the delay between the wheel and the handle was intentional, so that the impression is it takes a little while to wind up the wheel. How do you guys think that effect is? ( Please be honest Smile ). I'm going to modify that part of the animation as well because, to sound more knowledgeable than I am, the animation tangents between the handle's first and second animation are smooth when they should be linear. Or in other words the effect is that the handle looks like it's slowing down when it comes close to it's second animation.
Angel mired in filth
04-18-2009, 08:42 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
odin422 over on youtube said "WOW , just needs sparks....hehe" and I'm kinda inclined to agree that would look cool but the other half of me thinks the coolness of sparks would be cancelled out, and then some, by the fact that the game can't check if a sword is touching it. It would be kinda silly for it to throw sparks when nothing's touching it. I guess for ambience folks could always whack it with their swords when it's spinning, that'll at least make the havok throw sparks.

My original idea for this black smith wheel was to give it to the black smith in the SI at (The Missing Pauldron). I wanted it to work in a similar way as the smiths hammering animation. Maybe a new special animation could be created for sharpening a sword, with sparks.

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
On a sidenote the delay between the wheel and the handle was intentional, so that the impression is it takes a little while to wind up the wheel. How do you guys think that effect is? ( Please be honest Smile ). I'm going to modify that part of the animation as well because, to sound more knowledgeable than I am, the animation tangents between the handle's first and second animation are smooth when they should be linear. Or in other words the effect is that the handle looks like it's slowing down when it comes close to it's second animation.

At first I found it a bit strange but now I got used to it. It is just like the paddles on your bike. You speed them up and then you stop turning when you have build up enough speed.
Sjors Boomschors