Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slavery Outlawed
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM,
Slavery Outlawed
I recently picked up Oblivion, and according the pocket guide to the empire, Helseth outlawed slavery a few years after the whole Nerevarine affair. Maybe the Twin Lamps still exists, but has changed to bringing down illegal slave rings?

Edit: Let me quote the guide

...In accordance with the longstanding wishes of the Empire, he outlawed slavery throughout Morrowind....
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM,

you posted this thing twice, one here and another in the factions (2) Big Grin

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
Quote:Originally posted by Jyrinnis
Helseth outlawed slavery in Morrowind (As seen in the new pocket guide) So maybe the twin lamps attacks underground illegal slavery.
so maybe the Twin Lamps are a legal organization...
perhaps we make them a very limited faction, but you can join for the hell of freeing slaves if you'd like.... and the people will love you... except for some Telvanni and most Dres Confusedhrug:... oh and quite a few Hlaalu farmers.... Telvanni need slaves for experiments and housekeeping... Dres and Hlaalu for large-scale farming and mining.... so its the Hlaalu and Dres that need them more... but its the Dres that used to rely on them....

but I wonder, how are the Dres still going strong if they have no more slaves?
and I also know the answer.... where would the slaves go? they end up as tenants or sharecroppers.... barely better than slavery...
infact as a slave, you are usually garunteed food and shelter since you masters want you alive to work, though harsh ones will just work you to death.... sharecroppers and such are on their own, but have "freedom"
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM,

and I also know the answer.... where would the slaves go? they end up as tenants or sharecroppers.... barely better than slavery...
infact as a slave, you are usually garunteed food and shelter since you masters want you alive to work, though harsh ones will just work you to death.... sharecroppers and such are on their own, but have "freedom"

Exactly what happened after the American Civil War
03-22-2006, 08:46 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheMann777

Exactly what happened after the American Civil War
and in the reign of Tsar (Czar) Nicholas II to the peasants who were no longer serfs
and in the annals of history in many many places
03-23-2006, 05:41 AM,

In game, the book On Morrowind mentions that Dres and Hiallu are cooperating the most out of the houses, which makes me wonder what Dres is getting out of this.
03-31-2006, 03:36 PM,

I was reading about the Dres yesterday since you mentioned it.
I assume that since the House Dres and Tear were such huge economic forces, the natural progression would be a sort of indentured sharecropper kind of thing that the country turns a blind eye to. Since technically they aren't 'slaves', just ultra low class citizens who work for food.

Something to consider would be little miniquestlines involving small groups trying to fight the slave trade where the government doesn't get involved. Perhaps a scripted attack on the guard posts of Tear every week or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Common-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03-31-2006, 06:15 PM,

Tear is nowhere near our mod territory.
03-31-2006, 07:20 PM,

This is true, it was on the southern landmass though right, I am very fuzzy on the old locations.
The thing is, if slavery was outlawed the Dres wouldn't want their plantations to move closer to other cities, it would create an easier op. for people to flee the plantations. Slavery in general would have to be hidden from the masses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Common-------------------------------------------------------------------------------