Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snap-to-grid query
12-31-2010, 01:41 PM,
Snap-to-grid query
Hello,

This is just a quick query. I'm using some tileset pieces that include the Shivering Isles city walls and some of the Jurad tileset by mr_siika but I'm having a problem getting them to snap-to-grid. Is there some way to set them up that does this automatically without them leaving gaps in the models?

I'm sure someone mentioned this before over on BM but I can't remember the details....

- IG
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
12-31-2010, 01:46 PM,

Hi IG, you may have already checked, but is the "Snap to grid" button pressed?
12-31-2010, 04:17 PM,

You also want to make sure that when you drag a piece into the render window:
-snap to grid AND snap to angle is already toggled
-you move the piece on all axes and rotate it BEFORE you drag in any other piece

Sometimes both that fails and you need to drag the piece in a couple times before it works.

You can also adjust the increments that snap to grid works on. Lowering the numbers can sometimes help (distances should remain multiples of 2 and angles should be in 15 degree increments).

If all that fails, try the "snap to object" option in the preference window. Select your initial piece (after its been set up with the two conditions above) and select it as the origin. Every other piece will now orient itself based on it and snap.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
12-31-2010, 07:17 PM,

Thanks LN, but it never seems to want to work for me. I get so sick of snap-to-grid that it puts me off modding in some areas. It never seems to work properly. X(

I tried the above but there's always gaps and seams showing. The only one I didn't try was to adjust the increments. How do you do that?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
12-31-2010, 09:57 PM,

You can adjust the increments through the Construction Set's Preferences (see the screenshot). It'll be the "Snap to Grid" and "Snap to Angle" fields near the top.

Could you maybe post a screenshot showing what kind of gap you're seeing? It might help. Smile
12-31-2010, 10:08 PM,

Cheers TID,

I think I might have just solved it. I just had to keep resetting it using the "snap to object" option in the preference window. I'll take a look at that though anyways. :goodjob:
01-03-2011, 12:11 AM,

see, i never have that problem as i kjust turn snap to grid off as that sets increments to one without having to go to preferences, it helps as u get them lined up yourself pretty easily.
But i dont turn off snap to angle as it helps with wine and misc especially
the only thing we got from the war was to learn that there isnt safety in numbers
01-03-2011, 12:22 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Nero
see, I never have that problem as I kjust turn snap to grid off as that sets increments to one without having to go to preferences, it helps as u get them lined up yourself pretty easily.
But I dont turn off snap to angle as it helps with wine and misc especially

You probably shouldn't do that as there will always be very small gaps inbetween tileset pieces.
It's almost impossible to get them lined up with non STG dragging because you get down to 4 decimal places.
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM,

Building for example exterior walls can be done in an interior dummy cell.
It's much easier, when completed, copy the content to the exterior WS.

It possible to fix gaps manually (incorrect alignment).
For example a tileset uses an increment of 256 units (snap to grid).
X,Y,Z == 0,0,0 the second piece is at 0,258,-1 then the correct position should be 0,256,0 etc.

It's tedious but it works when fixing smaller problems with e.g. interior cells.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
01-08-2011, 12:57 AM,

yeah, i dont do tilesets ihave only donbe interiors for houses, so it got to bloody annoying to find thatt tthe bed never lined up and would be in the wall so i would do it mannually like sandor said until i turned STG off and i cut my modd time inn half and when i made a replica of the blackwood comapny hall place once, i turned STG off to make it easier. It just seems to work for me. I play test it and i get no gaps
the only thing we got from the war was to learn that there isnt safety in numbers