Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some HTML help
08-01-2005, 04:36 PM,
Some HTML help
I'm currently re-building my website, and I'm wondering, how do you place text on top of the image (like the bar at the top of this website, to navigate)
You dance to remember, I dance to forget
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM,

You can insert a table and set the background image for it and just use text links on top of that. Are you using straight HTML or a WYSIWYG editor?
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
08-01-2005, 06:04 PM,

Well, what you see at the top of this website is not (it is, but it isn't) so much HTML as it is one or more images with an image map or something similar, such as to making an image, cutting it up and formatting it with links attached to them. That's a little harder to do than what noremorse is talking about. A WYSIWYG editor can help with that, but it's still a pain. I did a simpler version for my home page.
Where does the light come from? ...
The same place as the music
-----
Mods Downloads
08-01-2005, 06:14 PM,

The page header on the website uses a set of what is often called "rollover images". When you hover over rollover 1a.gif, rollover 1b.gif is displayed instead. The images themselves are transparant gifs, mostly to make them compatible with the complex background.

The page header on the forum, on the other hand, is a single jpeg with an image map. The image map places linked areas on top of the image. Creating image maps by hand is equivalent to brain surgery (well, almost) and no one does that. Wysiwyg editors (Dreamweaver in particular) makes image maps and rollver images a breeze to add.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-01-2005, 10:51 PM,

Might there be a free program that can do this for me? Or I'll just do what noremorse suggested.
You dance to remember, I dance to forget
08-02-2005, 04:48 AM,

Well, if you already have microsoft office then Frontpage will work. Alternatively, you can get a 30-day trial version of Dreamweaver MX from macromedia.com. I recommend that.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
08-02-2005, 08:02 AM,

Hmm, I think Microsoft made Frontpage a standalone product in the newest line of software. Dreamweaver is exceedingly expensive if you pay for it, but there are other alternatives... anyone can PM me for more information Wink
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM,

I use a program called WebBuilder. It is a simple program to use and it is free.I used it to make my site. You can Download it here.

WebBuilder