Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some mesh and texture Queries
03-05-2009, 09:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Thanks for the input, RW. I'm struggling to find time to get to grips with this. I had no idea it was so complicated.....I just wanted my textures to show up in interior locations..... ?(
If you just want the textures to show up and aren't too bothered about the quality of the normal maps, you could just run the diffuse texture through the normal map plugin for whatever 2d app. you use and save it with the _n suffix.
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM,

Ok, I just ran a quick test to create a normal map and used the Nvidia DDS plugin for Photoshop.

Its not the best, but the results were deinfately usable, I just need to find the best settings.

Maybe its something for you to use IG Smile
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-05-2009, 09:21 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Ok, I just ran a quick test to create a normal map and used the Nvidia DDS plugin for Photoshop.

Its not the best, but the results were deinfately usable, I just need to find the best settings.

Maybe its something for you to use IG Smile
Don't forget to create a specular map as well (gray scale texture that goes in the alpha channel of the normal map with white being shiny and black being dull). You could probably use a desaturated version of your colour texture.
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Don't forget to create a specular map as well (gray scale texture that goes in the alpha channel of the normal map with white being shiny and black being dull). You could probably use a desaturated version of your colour texture.

Oh right, thanks Nick_Op Smile

Nick_Op, you you write up a bit of info on the specular map bit, I am unsure of how to best do this.

I have been experimenting with the settings and even slight setting changes changes the quality noticably.

I will post some reference screenies for you if you want IG.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-05-2009, 09:38 PM,

Yes, that would be great. I'm delighted by the response, guys. Thanks!

However, I'm not familiar with the term 'diffuse map' and don't know if I have a '2D app' or not. I assume you mean like a texture making program. I've only just downloaded GIMP and I haven't a clue how to use it. However, I could probably do Photoshop as I've used it before and there's a copy at work. It'll just take me a while to get reacquainted with it.

Just FYI, Sachiel has volunteered to create normal maps although I'm intrigued by this idea too. I could send someone the textures if they want to take a look at them for me. I'd do them myself but, yet again, I've a packed sets of evenings and weekend ahead of me.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Oh right, thanks Nick_Op Smile

Nick_Op, you you write up a bit of info on the specular map bit, I am unsure of how to best do this.

I have been experimenting with the settings and even slight setting changes changes the quality noticably.

I will post some reference screenies for you if you want IG.
I don't have the time to write up a decent tutorial. I can offer a few nuggets of advice, though, I guess:

1. Specular maps control shine.
2. They go in the alpha channel of the normal map (hence they are grayscale).
3. The darker an area of the spec map is, the duller it will be in game, the whiter an area is, the brighter.
4. A normal map using a specular map must be saved in a .dds format that retains the alpha channel (i.e. DXT3 or DXT5).

If you're going for a fairly quick and easy spec map I'd recommend starting with the diffuse texture, desaturating it and putting it in the alpha channel of the notmal map. Test it in game. If it's either too dull or too shiny, adjust the brightness of it using either Brightness/Contrast or Levels in Photoshop.

@ Ibsen's Ghost

Diffuse map is the name for the map that contains colour data (i.e. the standard texture map).

A 2d app. is an application that is used for 2d art/design. Photoshop and GIMP are both examples of 2d apps.
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I don't have the time to write up a decent tutorial. I can offer a few nuggets of advice, though, I guess:

1. Specular maps control shine.
2. They go in the alpha channel of the normal map (hence they are grayscale).
3. The darker an area of the spec map is, the duller it will be in game, the whiter an area is, the brighter.
4. A normal map using a specular map must be saved in a .dds format that retains the alpha channel (i.e. DXT3 or DXT5).

If you're going for a fairly quick and easy spec map I'd recommend starting with the diffuse texture, desaturating it and putting it in the alpha channel of the notmal map. Test it in game. If it's either too dull or too shiny, adjust the brightness of it using either Brightness/Contrast or Levels in Photoshop.

Not the most detailed, but definately helped, thank you.

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Yes, that would be great. I'm delighted by the response, guys. Thanks!

However, I'm not familiar with the term 'diffuse map' and don't know if I have a '2D app' or not. I assume you mean like a texture making program. I've only just downloaded GIMP and I haven't a clue how to use it. However, I could probably do Photoshop as I've used it before and there's a copy at work. It'll just take me a while to get reacquainted with it.

First Screen, I have seen a pretty decent result from this, it could problably need tweaked. The only major difference is the shadowing on the Normal Map that came with the texture is better than the PS one.

Yes, PS is good. You can download the Nvidia DDS plugin for it, which is what I am using. Though GIMP is good and the same again with an additional plugin.
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM,

I finally got my copy of Photoshop installed and I'll look into creating normal maps. I still don't have much of an idea what I'm doing but I'll experiment and see if I can get results by mere tinkering. The whole range of options that this page displays: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photo...#downloads looks far too complicated for a man with little time on his hands but I'm hoping it'll prove quite intuitive. But does anybody know of good basic tutorial?

Edit - Wow! I think this is working...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]