Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some random thoughts on questing
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM,
Some random thoughts on questing
Howdy

One of the things I enjoy about walking around the Silgrad Lands is the number of people you meet, talking to most of them will yield similar results in response, thats just the way it is
What I would like to do with some of the misc quests is to feature certain NPC's throughout the areas who have special stories to tell about thier lives, some simple, some complex, but all fun

I propose to everyone, that if you have an NPC that you have a particular liking to or made to your own vision, then make your npc have his/her special story, post it in the Quest Development as a general discussion lets see what fun we can have and give our world a home town feeling not generic, everyone talks about the same stuff !

Example:

I have an NPC which I like (I don't know why I just do) He's a merchant, sells pottery, he tells me his story of how he came to Morrowind, decided to become a merchant, he's gonna get married soon, wants his brother to be his best man, but hasn't spoken to brother in years, doesn't know where brother is, last he heard brother was (XX location) mentions how nice it would be to have his brother at the wedding. Idea find brother

The NPC hasnt directly asked the player to find his brother, but implies it. this would prompt the quest to begin

Example 2:

Your walking through the city and as you near an NPC he/she says good day (or something) how bout if some of those NPC's say things like Good Day but in a mumble make a smart remark about how you look or your attire or anything for that matter, in this case the player would receive a message in their journal.... I passed by a man he said good morning to me, but I heard him say something else and it didn't sound nice.

This would prompt the player to return to the NPC and Ask ! What did you say? Intimidation will play a part in this to prod the NPC to admitting his comment. It could be that the NPC is just having a bad day and he can tell you about it, this could lead to a quest or not Or maybe the NPC just doesn't like you and a few good pops to the jaw will straighten his attitude.

Just fun things to do

Also with regard to Silgrad for MW I thought the idea of having a help wanted board was fantastic and hope this will also be used in OB Version

You never knew what you were getting into when picking one of those help wanted papers

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM,

I have some thoughts on this as I've been working on Baby's First Interior, ST claim Ebbedin14. My thoughts so far:

- QuestDev like LitDev can span provinces, so I'd like to see QD threads in The Common Room. However, it would be really nice if those threads can appear in the Portal, at least if that NPC's bio or quests touch ST proper. In fact, I just had a thought: "mirrored" QD forums, one under ST and one under BC. I'm making this up as I go along, but the general idea is that if a character's storyline, past or future, touches ST itself, then it would appear in the ST QD. If it touches other BC mods, then it should be in the BC QD forum. The hard part, at least technically and maybe in getting The Boss's approval Smile, would be to have the threads that touch both locales appear in both forums, not as copies but as references (to go all Computer Science on you for a moment).

- How to name new threads; my first cut would be:

<mod>-<town or region>-<claim name>-<name of NPC>.
My example would be Silgrad Tower - Ebbedin - Ebb14 - Sparrow Fleetwind. In fact I'll start that thread now. Big Grin

Later,
Steve

EDIT: Actually I'll hold off on the thread until there is some feedback from The Emboldened Ones. Big Grin
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM,

Yea that's great ideas... I hope there's somebody who can implement them Smile
Now i cant forget
coz my momma killed me
03-01-2007, 07:50 PM,

:eek:

Shooting off the Cuff here:

So we are looking at this possibliltiy:

The NPC has a story
Lets say this NPC is from Valenwood, his/her family is still living there.
weather or not thier is a quest involving this NPC ... at minimum
in the Valenwood Mod this NPC's family would be there and would reference that they have a family member in living in Morrowind.

If we have a quest idea for this NPC or his/her family in Valenwood the Quest can come from either side

Does this sound correct

Thats a good idea
As far as a claim system, your idea I like it, its simple yet covers all the needed info

How do we link them together ?

Computer Science stuff (thanks Steve Big Grin)

It would be optimal if when developing a quest or story, that if this story includes references to places and or npcs in one of the BC projects, at minimum the project leader should be notified that the reference exists and the leader of that project can initiate the necassary action to incorporate it into the Mod, even if its nothing more than just adding an NPC and a little dialogue to say "oh yeah I have a relative that lives in morrowind blah blah blah"....

To me this would make our mod more unique and more interesting, we would also be pluggin each others project along the way, which is always good.

I will ponder on it some more

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM,

Indeed awesome idea Big Grin
Now i cant forget
coz my momma killed me