Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some words of wisdom
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM,
Some words of wisdom
A while ago I found this small story which I think is really good. Today I translated it to english.
Quote:A professor stands in front of a class to give philosophy . In front of him were lying a variety of objects. When the class started he took, without saying a word he picks up an empty jar and starts to fill it with golf balls. When the jar was totally full he asked his class if the jar was full. The students said it was.

Then the professor took a box of bead turning it upside down above the jar. He shook the jar lightly so all bead rolled in the open space between the golf balls. Again he asked if the jar was full, again they said it was.

Now the professor took a box of sand and emptied in the jar. Off course it filled all the room between the bead and golf balls. . Again the professor asked his students if the jar was full. Again the students said it was.

From below his desk the professor grabs two cups of coffee and emptied them in the jar with sand, bead and golf balls. All the coffee disappeared in the jar. It filled the room between the sand. The students started to laugh.

?Now?, the professor said, ?Now I want you to see this jar as your life. This jar filled with golf balls, bead, sand and coffee represents the life of a human.?

?This golf balls are the most important things in life: family, your children, your faith, your health and your favorite activities. Things that if there was nothing else on this world, your life would still be filled.?

?The bead are other stuff that matters. Your job, your house, your car. The sand represents the small things that matter to you.?

?If you start with the sand none of the bead or golf balls would have fit.?

?The same goes for your life. If you put all your energy and time in the little things, you'll never have time for the things that matter to you. Pay some attention to the that matter to you. Play with your kids for instance. Take time for a health check every ones in a while. Take your partner out to dinner. Do something fun, there's always time to clean the house or fix the bin.?

?Take first care of the golf balls, the things that are the most important to you. Make prioreties. The rest is just sand.?

One student raises a hand and asks were the two cups of coffee would represent.

The professor laughs and says: ?A very good question! I only wanted to point out that, no matter how full your life may be, theres always time to drink some coffee with a friend or loved one.?
Hope you liked.

Mormacil
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM,

You can put golf balls in! you just need to push, really, really hard Wink
01-09-2007, 12:25 AM,

Ah ok,so my balls are the most important thing in my life.Thought so!
Become one of Hircines

...R.I.P. My Oblivion Character Shadow...
01-09-2007, 03:04 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Shadow
Ah ok,so my balls are the most important thing in my life.Thought so!
you came to the same conclusion that I did...

I don't need beads, sand, and coffee... but I need my balls :yes:
01-10-2007, 01:45 AM,

i've heard a different version of that story, and i think it is a good story as far as words of wisdom are concered.

but you didn't need to post a story to tell me that my balls are most important to me Cool

shadow, after looking at your avatar and reading your post, good luck.

fr
98% of forum-goers say that fast travel ruins Oblivion. Put this as your signature if you are one of the 2% that realize fast travel is optional.
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by final reclaimer
shadow, after looking at your avatar and reading your post, good luck.

fr

:lmao:
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"