Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Problems
09-19-2008, 03:03 AM,
Speaker Problems
Hello all,

I recently came across a very bizarre problem. My external computer speakers will not play any sound at all after I log on to Windows (running XP). The speakers will play sounds from boot right up until I log on to my user account on the login page. If, for instance, I type an incorrect password on that page, the speakers will make the typical 'beep' sound. However, as I said above, as soon as I actually log in, all of my audio just goes dead. If I log off, and enter an incorrect password, the speakers will not make a sound.

Specs:
- Windows XP
- Soundblaser Live! card (though the speakers should be plug & play)
- ZoltriXound-75 speakers

The problem started about two weeks ago right after I installed a number of Windows updates and a Windows Media player update, which were required for me to gain internet access (long story). I personally suspect the WMP, but it's more of a hunch than anything. I updated from version 9 to version 11 of WMP. Confusedhrug:

I think I've already checked all the likely causes of this problem. Off the top of my head:
  • I made sure the speakers were plugged in Smile
  • I checked for any muting in the audio mixer
  • I made sure the speakers themselves weren't muted
  • I used the Windows Media Player 'rollback' option to go back to version 9
  • I made sure plug & play devices were enabled in the system BIOS
  • The sound card is working properly, according to Windows Device Manager
  • I installed new drivers for my sound card
  • I tried plugging in headphones to my computer, but they behaved in the same manner as the speakers.
Now, I have not tried a system restore yet... I really don't want to do that unless I have to because that would probably mean I would need to redownload several very large files when I already have a bandwidth limit (again, long story which I'm sure I'll get to some time). If worse comes to worse, however, then I probably will give it a try anyway. If even that doesn't change anything, then it's an even bigger mystery, and I'll be even more stumped than I am now. :pop:

If anyone can think of anything else I should check or consider, please let me know. I would really appreciate any input anyone can provide.
09-23-2008, 11:54 AM,
Speakers
TID,

I know you going to call me stupid for this, but I will offer it anyway. Do you have a speaker symbol in the lower right system tray?
If so, do a right click on it and try adjusting volume controls. When you click on the various audio controls you should get a beep from the speakers or headphones, especially the master slider control.

Also I might mention that there are several audio programs and various movie player programs that will affect your audio. Several programs like Flash Player and even Quicktime can affect your audio and even shut it down or mute it entirely. It could be one of these choking off your audio.
And then again I could be wrong and it could be something else entirely. You mentioned new drivers for the sound card, you might check the settings on the new drivers and do an audio test with the sound card itself.
These are just suggestions of the things that I have run into with sound card problems with many of the systems that I have worked on in the past when I have done system repair and upgrades for people.

Boserman
"The more we seek to do, the more time becomes our enemy."

The Boserman
09-26-2008, 10:56 PM,

Update: System restore doesn't work on my computer anymore. That's a pretty good indication that things are really messed up. Big Grin When I try, I just get a message saying that it didn't complete because there were no changes to my system (even though there obviously were with the Windows updates). :confused:

Quote:TID,

I know you going to call me stupid for this, but I will offer it anyway. Do you have a speaker symbol in the lower right system tray?
If so, do a right click on it and try adjusting volume controls. When you click on the various audio controls you should get a beep from the speakers or headphones, especially the master slider control.

Also I might mention that there are several audio programs and various movie player programs that will affect your audio. Several programs like Flash Player and even Quicktime can affect your audio and even shut it down or mute it entirely. It could be one of these choking off your audio.
And then again I could be wrong and it could be something else entirely. You mentioned new drivers for the sound card, you might check the settings on the new drivers and do an audio test with the sound card itself.
These are just suggestions of the things that I have run into with sound card problems with many of the systems that I have worked on in the past when I have done system repair and upgrades for people.

Boserman
No, I'm not going to call you stupid for that. Wink I really do appreciate any attempt at help...

No sound came out of the speakers when I changed the volume, no sound came out of the speakers came out when I tested the drivers (old and new). The only audio program that's changed since things stopped working is Windows Media Player, and I already tried reverting back to the old version. :bash:

I'll run another virus scan, just to be sure that's not the root of this problem. I think it was one of the first things I tried, but who knows? Confusedhrug:
09-27-2008, 09:50 PM,

This is more or less a random guess, but maybe the sound settings in your control panel have changed?

Personally I have a microphone that lacks an on/off switch and to turn it on or off I go into Sounds and audio devices > Voice tab > Voice recording section > Volume. In the record control popup I tick the microphone box to turn it on, and any of the other two to turn it off.

If I can do that for a microphone I would imagine it's possible to block other audio devices through Windows as well, and maybe that's what happened in your case (just a guess though)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]