Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steadhelm Features Requests
07-16-2008, 03:31 PM,

Excellent! Just go for the basic, methinks. A complex model would probably eat away at the memory in the location and I'm already skating over the limit. For some locations, it might be cool to have an environmental insect-buzz sound to add to the effect.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-22-2008, 09:36 AM,

I've got quite a lot of stuff on my hands right now, so this is going to have to wait a while. Just though I'd let you know.
07-22-2008, 10:33 AM,

Hey, np nick_op. You already help with tons of stuff and this is just one for the future really. I'm sure people in general will get something out of it though.

For me, the top priority is the trees so if anyone can take up that challenge then I'd be very grateful. It'd really improve the general outlook of the Steadhelm swamp regions.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM,
Good news RE: Mangroves and other trees
Hello all,

After contacting koniption, I was rewarded with a 'yes' to my question about mangrove trees. It turns out that he's already got some. I'm not entirely sure how to implement these myself. I think you drag the .nif files into the object window...?

Anyway, for general review purposes, here they are: http://files.filefront.com/Mangroves+Ibs...einfo.html

In the meantime, despite being struck by illness, koniption has been good enough to offer the following information about creating leaning trees and 'swamp trees'. After speaking with Senten about this and learning that 'speedtree' is the piece of software to use, this should prove useful somewhere along the line at least. I dl'ed 'speedtree' but can't make much sense of it as yet. Anyway, here is koniption's message to me:

"There are two ways I can think of to make trees at an angle (BEWARE: 3D technical words/concepts follow):

1. If you want to use speedtree trees, make a tree in speedtree, then make a "tree trunk bottom" piece in a modeling program to cap onto the bottom end of the speedtree tree in the construction set. This bottom cap piece should be angled to both fit the speedtree trunk bottom, and then curved to face a cliff or ledge. Use the same texture on the bottom cap piece as you do for the speedtree tree; tweaking of the cap in 3D program and rescaling of the cap in CS to fit the tree as closely as possible might ensue. I've never actually done a tree this way, but I think my idea should still work if done right.

2. If you want a static, non-speedtree tree. Make at least a 5 sided, 6 or more in height levels cylinder in 3D program as the main tree trunk for your tree. Use rotate and move tools to angle the cylinder the way you want it to be angled along the z axis/height axis (usually, you rotate vertex group in one direction on an axis, then move the same vertex group in same direction till smoothed out on same axis). Then make a single leaf branch with leaves, keep cloning it, and adding those clones to the main tree trunk till tree if filled out with leaves. I found I can use a single triangle plane to make a single leaf on, while others try to use a full square or rectangle plane made of two or more triangles together. Since one can make a leaf with half the number of polygons using just a triangle, and trees use a lot of leaves to look nice, it just makes since to use triangle planes for trees.

About large sprawling limbed trees with plants, moss, and vines on them:
This idea follows the same thinking as # 1 above. Make a static tree trunk with large sprawling limbs in a 3D program, making branches and such, BUT DON'T ADD LEAVES OR SUB-BRANCHES! The idea is to place small speedtree trees/bushes into the static trunk to act as the large tree's leaves and sub-branches, so this way the leaves move in the game. I *think* you can angle the speedtrees and rotate them along an axis in the CS, to make branches that are angled for this large tree, so that not every "sub-branch tree" is looking straight up - cause that'd look weird. Afterwards, you place bromeliads and other gunk on the static limbs to finish the look. Again, I haven't personally attempted this, but I offered same idea for Valenwood regarding the city of Falinesti (the great tree city). I don't know if they ever tried it or used this idea, though."

I'd have a go myself but my time is limited and my expertise is nil. Hopefully, this can help the likes of nick_op though, whenever he can manage to find the time. No pressure, of course, nick_op. I know how busy you are Smile !
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM,

Interesting ideas, I think the first one is the best. I remember Phitt saying that using masses of far.nifs instead of speedtrees really slows down the game.

Unfortunately, I've never used speedtree before, so someone else is better suited for this task. I think Senten uses Speedtree, and maybe also someone over at Skyrim.
09-08-2008, 09:50 PM,

Senten is ludicrously busy. I believe he put himself forward for no less than 8 (count 'em...eight!!!) projects on these here forums. However, I think he mentioned that it was Richard who was the other speedtree modeller. I'll check that out by PM-ing him. Thanks for the feedback, nick_op!