Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TES IV doesn't end the third era?
09-27-2005, 09:38 PM,
TES IV doesn't end the third era?
It's been assumed that the main story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion revolves around the downfall of the Empire and brings an end to the third era. But in the recent Gamecloud interview, Pete Hines says this:

"The main storyline is about your character finding the long lost son of the emperor and getting him to take his rightful place on the throne."

If the deceased Emperor is replaced on the Imperial throne by his son, wouldn't that mean the Empire *doesn't* crumble and the third era continues, with Imperial dominance over Tamriel? If so, why does the voice-over in the video have Patrick Stewart saying "...this is the end of the third era..." (or similar) ?

Puzzling!
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-27-2005, 10:52 PM,

It depends on what they consider and "era" in the lore. Their era could simply mean a course of one hundred years. End of the third era would then just mean that it is the end of the third century.
The emporer will still die, and the throne will be taken over by his son, but the era will still end. Unless there is another meaning that they use for era, such as the reign of one family...
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
09-27-2005, 11:16 PM,

There is yet another way to view this as the end of the 3rd era. This could mean that a certain style of ruler is over. IE: Conquering rulers such as G. Khan and Alexander created and in some ways ended their own eras. It's how history looks at how much change to the overall outlook of the land was done.

In this case I would assume that the end of the peace and "relative" security enjoyed up to this time would be the end of the era. With the denizens of Oblivion loosed on the world, a new era of fear and war has been unleashed on the world of Tamriel.

Only time will tell if the new king will be able to re-establish peace and tranquility to the lands, which would herald in the 4th era.
IE Elder Scrolls 5

hehehe..
The keeper of the one and only Evil Beagle.
09-27-2005, 11:32 PM,

Aah, T. I. L. , the blessed holder of knowledge and infinite wisdom. Big Grin In Elder Scrolls lore there are five eras (info), and the current one - the Third Era - started 433 years before the start of Oblivion, when the then-Emperor conquered Morrowind which was the last country to fall under Imperial rule. The definition of the third era is that the whole of Tamriel came under Imperial control, and so a crumbling empire that loses control of the outlying provinces would in my mind be the definition of an end of the Third Era and the start of the Fourth. But if the Emperor's son takes over, the Empire doesn't crumble, because that would hurt the story. I doubt they would add a component of failure, like losing the other provinces, to the grand finale.

It's fun to think of these things though, and I'm sure I'll look stupid in a couple of months when we all find out, but I've never been one to hold back :elk:
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-29-2005, 11:13 PM,

I could see the heir being placed on the throne and the gates of oblivion closed, but the enough of the military was killed in the fighting that they can no longer have the same presence in the surrounding provinces. This wouldn't take effcet until TESV where it might be one of the provinces that hasn't been done in detail decides to revolt in a rebellion that you lead. beginning the fourth era and ending the third. I think it would be nice because then you still have the triumphant victory but it is still the end of an era.