Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test of DisOrder
03-28-2008, 07:48 AM,
Test of DisOrder
This thread is open to discuss the Test of Disorder to be used in Dumac as part of the Dumac Quest

Disorder:
to disturb the regular or normal functions of

Let the Questing begin

Enjoy
BOb
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-30-2008, 01:38 AM,

The Test of Disorder requires the observer to proceed systematically when no pattern is perceived. When the observer recognizes that many things must be done, and in no specific order; the procedure is to perceive and order all the things to be done, and, upon doing a thing, to recall how and when that thing has been done. For example, the observer must remember the initial position of a thing, and also the new position of that thing.

This should be a difficult test

Basically what I see here is upon entering the room the player will see several items in place (in a position) and then be teleported out into another room which is identical EXCEPT that those items are all in different locations

or

if other objects such as levers or bottons are used then the player will have only a short period to observe the position of the levers then they will move...the player will be required to place (move )the levers back into the positions they were at first

(Levers are an example) anything can be used

If a room situation is used as my first paragraph states, the player will be required to place the items back were they were first seen

failure as always will cause damage and you get to start again

Keep into consideration that Doran Searors Journal is the reference and the player should be reading the journal for hints of what might need doing

I'd love to hear more ideas

Enjoy
Bob

An example of this

03-30-2008, 01:49 AM,

I think i know a good way to represent to the player that he has to do something involving putting things back into place. For the test, we can have a large network of steam pipes connected to a door.

Note: Only certain pipes must be placed in position, many must be disconnected for the door to open.

But anyways, when the player walks into the room, the door is open, and the steam pipes are in the correct places. Then, all the steam pipes shift around, connect to different pipes, disconnect, etc. And the door closes. I think it'd be pretty obvious to the player that they needed to re-arrange the pipes.

I do think we need to find a way so that they can figure it out some way other than rapid memorization.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-30-2008, 02:15 AM,

Thats sounds perfect

just so you know that is kinda the principle around the test used in ex3 dumac Big Grin

Enjoy
Bob

03-31-2008, 12:41 AM,

Hmm, for this we'll need either animated pipes, or a script that makes it look like the pipes are animated.

I think you can use scripting to turn a pipe though, especially if it's just something simple like a 90 degree z-axis rotation.

Also, is there a dwemer boiler model? It would make sense for them to have boilers, seeing as they are reliant on steam technology, but i haven't seen anything that would obviously produce pressured steam.

I think it'd be really really cool if you had to find all the dwemer boilers and re-ignite them (unless they use lava, another possibility)
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM,

Here is what was used in ES3 you can do the same or make it a single door operation

Basically you moved the levers so that the flow of steam was directed to all 3 outlets, this moved all the doors into the open position and the player was able to get into the city

It wasn't easy and it shouldn't be

Unsucessful attempts were not punished, however in order to get the levers back to the original position the player had to leave the room and re-enter

Enjoy
Bob

03-31-2008, 07:57 PM,

What exactly did the levers do? Was there just some setting they all had to be in? or did they move the pipes around.

And also, how did the player know which levers to press? If it's just random, it seems like it would defeat the Dwemer's emphasis on logic and reasoning.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM,

The levers moved horizontal or vertical

the thing was is when you moved one the adjacent 3 moved as well
so it was rather difficult but it made you think.... REALLY think

in the end it was only 3 levers which needed moving

Its the whole purpose of this test, to make order out of disorder
to find a solution when none seems apparent

Each lever has a script attached to it

I could copy them and send them to you if you'd like
I don't know if scripts from morrowind can be used in oblivion, they may need some alerations

let me know

Enjoy
Bob

03-31-2008, 11:42 PM,

Well also, i guess my next question is thus: How did the player determine the proper orientation of the levers?

Obviously they have to think to figure out which ones to pull carefully, but what end goal are they working towards? Was there some goal of having all the levers flipped the same way? Or were there clues and hints as to the proper orientation of the levers. The player has to have some way of knowing what he has to get to.

Maybe I'm just overlooking something here, but i seriously have no clue how the player was supposed to figure out the proper positioning of all the levers.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-01-2008, 02:16 AM,

In the es3 version their are no clues, in this version we will use Dorans journal for the clues, the goal is to place the levers in the correct positions so that the flow of steam is routed from the inlet to the 3 outlets and the doorway is open

my memory came back and I remembered that you didn't have to leave the room to reset the levers, thier is another lever set off from the rest which is a reset lever, I don't know how I forgot that Smile

The player figures out the position of the levers by looking at the pipes and following the pipeline from inlet to outlet, lining up the levers so that they align to the direction of the pipe is what you want

figuring which levers will get that effect is the difficult part, its a guessing game but we will have the journal to help

Enjoy
Bob