Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cult of the Nereverine
05-06-2006, 03:14 AM,
The Cult of the Nereverine
One thing that has been on my mind for quite some time as the "mayor/architect" of Suran is what to do with the crazy, bare-chested fellow wandering about and claiming to be Nerevar. There was a Temple quest to get rid of him, but our mod is assuming that side quests like that weren't followed. So, what became of him? The idea that grew out of that question led me to a small quest-line and possibly to the lost Nereverine himself!

To begin the quest line, go to Suran and find out the local rumors. Somebody will mention the crazy fellow who used to go about the streets prophesying doom and calling himself Nerevar. Apparently, he met the true Nereverine six years ago and his life was changed. The man sold his meager belongings and left Suran, and it is rumored that he headed into the Ashlands.

Among the Urukshu Ashlanders, the PC will find another hint as to the fate of the man from Suran. It is said that a priest of Nerevar passed through several years past following the Nereverine's path.

The PC will finally come across the man if he goes to Telasero. On the surface level of the fortress, he will find that a set of rooms has been set up as a shrine. The lost priest of the Nereverine has set up residence there, atop the place where his hero fought a great battle and faced a great trial. Now he mediates and prays over that place and waits for one who will again pick up Nerevar's mantle. As the man explains it, the Nereverine is not so much an individual as it is a position. The person who was Nereverine has left, and though some say that he is in Akavir none know for sure, and yet his work was not complete. The Sixth House still exists in hiding once more; servants of the Dagoths still skulk even through the tunnels of Telasero. The priest believes that the spirit of Nerevar will come again on someone else until the tasks are complete.

If the PC has a copy of Azura's Star, the priest will say that he sees that the PC has already begun to tread in the path of Nerevar. He will then give a test: enter the caves below Telasero and bring back ________. If Azura blesses his quest and uses him to crush the Sixth House agents in hiding there, then the priest will assist him in becoming the new Nereverine.

If the PC completes the Telasero quest, then he is blessed by the priest and sent on to the Cavern of the Incarnate. There, the PC must enter just as in TESIII, but at the end, the Nereverine himself appears in a vision (wearing his full regalia from TESIII including a closed helm). He tells the PC that he has followed well in his footsteps but that there is still much to do. The time is coming when the Sixth House will fall and it will be up to the PC as the successor of Nerevar to see that it happens. The vision disappears, leaving behind a token of some sort (I'm thinking armor or weapon plus the ring of the Moon and Star). The PC then takes it and recieves an island-wide disposition boost.

The quest-line then ends. Of course, it functions as a prequel for the Sixth House MQ portion that is supposed to be our mod's finale, but it also gives a nice, short homage to TESIII and provides us with a way to get the Nereverine and his gear into our mod without messing up lore or the ways that players envision the Nereverine to have ended his or her story.
05-06-2006, 08:33 AM,

I love it! really! :goodjob: I truely recognize the TESIII style in this quest, and if it's done properly, I think people will get really excited about it!

again, good job Big Grin
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
05-06-2006, 07:50 PM,

I don't think we need any more Nerevarines. Still, the Nerevarine appearing to you in some form was a good idea, one that I was thinking of for a few days.
05-07-2006, 01:43 AM,

hmmm....
I always thought the Nerevarine was sort of like a state of fulfillment... and not necessarily a reincarnation
you become it after you have fulfilled the prophecies

I dunno about this Telasero stuff though, maybe another place since a joint Temple-Indoril venture has taken over Telasero...

but island-wide disposition boost... moon-star... I dunno.... you would be a celebrity

I think It would be better to make this ashlander.... like with the Wraithmail... I was planning something like that when I got side-tracked the other day thinking about Telvanni
05-07-2006, 01:49 AM,

You mean make the quests for the Ashlander faction? Or you mean tie it in with a specific Ashlander?

Anyway, I came up with this as something to do with the crazy guy from Suran, and I'd really like to give him a role in whatever form this ends up taking (preferably as some sort of Nereverine-obsessed hermit).

The Nereverine vision portion came about because people really seem to want the Nereverine to show up again in some form, and something like this really makes the most sense to me in both satisfying the need and in leaving the details of his fate to the player's imagination.
05-07-2006, 11:30 AM,

well, as long as it doesn't hurt the lore, it should be alright. And indeed, the nerevarine showing up again would be totally awesome dude :bananarock: Tongue
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM,

Hmm... if it's a position, why did everyone (including Vivec... or at least he does in his unused voice files) call you "Incarnate"? That probably means something.
05-21-2006, 11:21 PM,

I think there should only be one Nerevarine, making it not a state of fulfillment but as Axen said an actual second coming of Nerevar.