Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Exterior of Dumac
08-03-2007, 01:27 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by sandor
Dumac is lying (roughly) between the Steadhelm region and the Silgrad city region.
I use West Gash rocks for both of the regions, so I would say use WG rocks.

The Steadhelm region has a climate which is similar to the the Bitter Coast (humid). The Silgrad city region has climate which is similar to the Ascadian isles (lush and green). Depending on the climate, you should choose your textures.

@bob196045
What do you think?

Picture is worth a thousand words

Don't know what you have available in ES4 but Dumac is definitly WG, the rocks do appear brownish but they are indeed light grey, the surrounding area is AI and it changes to WG until roughly 1200 elevation (in morrowind scale) and Dumac sits at approximatly 1600 elev.

How this fits in with the rest of the land around it would be important as you can see in the pic their is a river which goes east to west, just north of Dumac. and of course it isn't that far from the coast, so their is lots of diversity in that one area, if you go just 1 cell south your staring to get into swampy BC land.... but again thats ES3

I would say stick with the WG or as close as you can get it

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
08-03-2007, 03:29 AM,

I'll let my screenshots do the talking, and you guys do the deciding.

In the first screenshot, i have a picture of a West Gash rock from TES3 Dumac, as well as the terrain texture.

In the second screenshot, i have a few West Gash rocks from TESIV Dumac, as well as stripes of every rock texture i could find, standard and ST.

There's even a third screenshot, with even more rock textures, that i didn't see before, laid so that you can more distinctly tell what is what.

the decisions which must be made: Are the TESIV west gash rocks suitable, and which ground texture should we use.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
08-03-2007, 04:19 AM,

West Gash was what Dumac in ES3 used, so I think it's only logical it should be the same in ES4.

From your screenshot, I circled what looked like good textures to me, what do you think?

Perhaps we could use other lighter retexes of a few of the current textures as placeholders, then replace them later on with ones made specifically for either Dumac or the West Gash.
08-03-2007, 04:27 AM,

My concern with the west gash rocks is that they don't look anything like they did in Morrowind. Calling a fish a horse doesn't make it so (to use a confusing analogy).

There's actually a ground texture in the third screenshot called StRPRegionRock4WG, or something along those lines. I believe it's the far right texture in the third shot. it looks closer to the MW texture than the others in my opinion, the only problem is that it doesn't match the rocks at all.

[edit] here's a shot in the CS of Dumac with the StRPRegionRock4WG ground texture. I think it looks rather nice with the dwemer buildings
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
08-03-2007, 08:17 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
My concern with the west gash rocks is that they don't look anything like they did in Morrowind. Calling a fish a horse doesn't make it so (to use a confusing analogy).
You could ask Razorwing if it's ok to create a new set of rocks (the same meshes) with the former (brown) textures.
Perhaps Razorwing has another suggestion for the textures as well.

Keep in mind that the StRPRegionRock4WG, StSrSHTerrainBWMossNoGrass etc. were created for the Soluthis and the Steadhelm region. It's possible that the the textures change (are replaced) if we find better ones.

If you want to be sure that they don't change, create a new land texture e.g. StSeDumacRock4WG with the same texture (as for the StRPRegionRock4WG) and inform Razorwing about the fact you're using this texture.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
08-03-2007, 05:59 PM,

I think the best thing to do would be to have the Morrowind textures re-created for Oblivion, so that we can make sure that the rocks match the landscape, and it all looks like the MW textures.

Two last screenshots: First one shows the texture for MW west gash rocks on the left, and the texture for the ground on the right.

Second one shows texture for OB west gash rocks on the left, ground texture on the right.

I think that if we want to keep to the look and feel of morrowind, as well as the laws of exterior decoration, a recreation of the original textures is the best course
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM,

Well this is a bit old, anyway I think the textures are done and the land co-ordinates have been changed slightly, So I will move this to the archive, unless someone needs it.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
10-10-2007, 08:23 PM,

Nah, don't archive it. I just got the 512x512 textures from VABG, and i plopped them into the CS. know what? they look really good. I'll wait till i can get ingame for more extensive screenshots (also, textures look kinda strange with a bird's eye view in the CS)

But here are two of the textures, and i think they look much better than the old ones.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
10-11-2007, 08:45 AM,

Ok it can stay Wink

Yeah the textures look a lot better, so I guess you are working on the land. Best thing to do is create an esm and then the claims can be based on the esm, when they are complete you can merge them, then change the file to an esp when you hand it in for Silgrad to use.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM,

hmm, how exactly would that work? Could a Dumac ESM modify land in the Silgrad ESM? I'll have to ask sandor what the best way to do this is.

I think the previous impression was that we'd merge things to Silgrad as we got them done. ie, once we did the exterior, it would be merged, and then we'd start on the first test, second test, but i can definitely see how a Dumac ESM would make it much easier to work on two or three things at once.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala