Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mane's Palace
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM,

I think you should envision the city as a cluster of palaces and temples, with probably one larger than the others where the Mane himself would reside.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM,

ok, sounds good to me Big Grin
Mahta agea ry sou macil, ana maka na sinyamer.
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM,

Remember to not go to Islamic in style of architecture though -or we risk looking too sterotypical.

Check out some ancient Burmese temples (and ancient temples of the surrounding countries) for inspiration with the design, such as:

[Image: detail-shwezigon-temple-02-500.jpg]

[Image: Bagan2.jpg]

[Image: Bagan%2C_Hpaya-thon-zu-Group.JPG]

[Image: Ananda_Temple_Bagan.jpg]

[Image: stock-photo-ananda-temple-ancient-town-b...156001.jpg]

Also, you have to remember, that while it is a palace, it's not in the sense of it being for a King, it's usage would be more like the ancient palaces in Tibet, where the reincarnations of the differnt Lamas live/lived (similarly in our case, the Mane's Palace is also his prison, spending much of his time within the palace(s) walls, and in his sugarcane gardens, guarded constantly) -the Mane is the spiritual leader of Elsweyr, not it's divine ruler.

Feel free to get bat-shit crazy with the design of the sugarcane gardens.
03-03-2011, 12:50 AM,

Guidance on sugarcane growing would be useful here - As I understand it, it's grown like rice: sown in paddy - but does it mature in the dry?

There's a big river flowing down to Torval so running water would be available.
Morcroft Darkes
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM,

I always thought of Elsweyr having a bit of Aztec like architecture and the Mane's Palace being Enormousness with quite a few steps to get to his throne and below the chapel.
is it possible to import those (or at least use!) AI packs from SI where they like, prayed? It would help but if it is too hard, dont bother.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, Killjoys, make some noise!
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM,

Nice find on the pics, good inspiration to draw from; I'm leaning toward the 2nd pic. I started sketching out the basic structural layout of the Palace, trying to get a feel for it all (nothing to share at the moment, patience my young Padawan). But I had one question for you all...

Given the Mane's personal status (erm, appearance rather...covered head to toe in others hair), can he physically walk around on his own? I thought I read somewhere he's carried around on a palanquin or litter. Should I think about having the main walkways be ramps rather than stairs for his personal quarters, main entrance/etc?

Regarding the Sugarcane fields... not discerning their importance, but I'm focusing on the Palaces first (dinner first before dessert if you will)
Mahta agea ry sou macil, ana maka na sinyamer.
03-04-2011, 05:33 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Guidance on sugarcane growing would be useful here - As I understand it, it's grown like rice: sown in paddy - but does it mature in the dry?

There's a big river flowing down to Torval so running water would be available.

It still needs quite a moist/wet environment throughout it's growth, hence why the Sugarcane plantation house I made is on stilts.

Quote:Originally posted by Kyoushu
Nice find on the pics, good inspiration to draw from; I'm leaning toward the 2nd pic. I started sketching out the basic structural layout of the Palace, trying to get a feel for it all (nothing to share at the moment, patience my young Padawan). But I had one question for you all...

Ah yes the second pic -of all of them, it looks most reminiscent of a stupa (prehaps match it up with the stupa designs, atleast roughly).

Quote:Originally posted by Kyoushu
Given the Mane's personal status (erm, appearance rather...covered head to toe in others hair), can he physically walk around on his own? I thought I read somewhere he's carried around on a palanquin or litter. Should I think about having the main walkways be ramps rather than stairs for his personal quarters, main entrance/etc?

Having everything on the first story, with ramps where need be sounds like an excellent idea (the upper stories of the palace could be for staff, lesser holy Khajiit/gurus, guests, and so on). Also a good reason to have it having a design where the largest area is the bottom story (like the second pic temple).