Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Music Thread
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by simonp92
I must say that I listen to a lot of music but Green-day is probably my favourite band..

Good choice. They're one of my favourite bands - their latest two albums were great (American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown)

My personal favourite of all time is hands down The Jam (yes my dad influenced me a lot). They were awesome!!! Paul, Bruce and Rick. Archive of fantastic songs: In The City, Tubestation, Going Underground, Town Called Malice, When You're Young, Thick as Thieves, Eton Rifles, Beat Surrender, In The Crowd the list goes on and on...

A lot of Paul Weller's solo stuff is great as well - Wild Wood, Stanley Road, As Is Now - great albums.

I also love Rush. Skill at its most skillfull. Truly magnificent musicianship. Not sure about Peart's lyrics, though...

Then there's The Who, R.E.M., Foo Fighters, The Small Faces...
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM,

I like Linkin Park(old ones not minutes to Midnight e.t.c),S.O.A.D,some Green Day and some songs from other bands.
True tests never end. :chaos:
Join Planeshift Developers!
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html
11-19-2009, 01:08 AM,

I've been foraying into metal recently and discovered Dio. Ronny James Dio has the ultimate rock/metal voice, in my opinion. And who couldn't love the fact that tigers are mentioned in almost every song? Wink

I've also listened to a couple of new Green Day songs recently as I've had to transcribe them for some of my pupils. I'm starting to appreciate how good a band they are - they've been around for about 20 years now, so they must be doing something right.

There's a couple of new songs up on my band's myspace page, "Defacto Dictators" and "Why Can't You Come Home". Please have a listen, we write catchy songs that are cleverly put together (so our fellow musicians wont get bored Wink).
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM,

I don't get metal. Just everything about it seems un-musical to me. I've seen the tabs to a lot of metal stuff and it's basically something easy played very very fast, and the lyrics are meaningless.
I'm probably sounding incredibly stubborn and closed-minded and metal lovers are going to hate me, but I see no music in metal at all.

I especially like music where the lyrics are incredibly powerful and deep. I'm talking Paul Weller, The Beatles, Paul Simon etc.

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I've also listened to a couple of new Green Day songs recently as I've had to transcribe them for some of my pupils. I'm starting to appreciate how good a band they are - they've been around for about 20 years now, so they must be doing something right.
I've only ever really listened to American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, but recently I got Dookie and International Superhits and I realise how good they've been for a long time. I have to say that if I had to pick Green Day's best song, though, for me it'd be Holiday. Class!

12-18-2009, 12:37 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk
I don't get metal. Just everything about it seems un-musical to me. I've seen the tabs to a lot of metal stuff and it's basically something easy played very very fast, and the lyrics are meaningless.
I'm probably sounding incredibly stubborn and closed-minded and metal lovers are going to hate me, but I see no music in metal at all.
While I'm not a huge fan of metal, there are some metal bands that have a huge amount of musical content within their songs. Dio and Sabbath spring to mind.

For some more recent stuff, Rage Against the Machine have some very well put together songs, especially on their earlier albums
Quote:I've only ever really listened to American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, but recently I got Dookie and International Superhits and I realise how good they've been for a long time. I have to say that if I had to pick Green Day's best song, though, for me it'd be Holiday. Class!
I'm not sure if I've got a favourite Green Day song. I tend to prefer their more recent stuff, though, just because the quality and tone of Billy Joe Armstrong's voice is so much better than their earlier stuff. They tend to have a couple more unexpected twists in their later songs, too.
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM,

Any Classical fans on these forums?
The Nord pointed his finger at the building on the hill, and said: "That is the Emerald Hall, the Palace of Ysgramor."

My concepts - http://ysgramor.deviantart.com (hopefully there shalt be some in the future!)
11-19-2010, 07:17 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by MarcusAurelio
Any Classical fans on these forums?

Sometimes, not a whole lot though.
11-20-2010, 09:49 PM,

Nah, I'm not really into that kind of music.

Recently though, I've started listening to The Police and they seem to have done some pretty good songs. Walking On The Moon, Invisible Sun and Message In A Bottle are my favourites.

11-21-2010, 08:39 AM,

In the rock sphere, I think almost all of my favourites lie in the 60's-70's limit, such as Jimi, the Doors, PINK FLOYD, Zeppelin, et al.
The Nord pointed his finger at the building on the hill, and said: "That is the Emerald Hall, the Palace of Ysgramor."

My concepts - http://ysgramor.deviantart.com (hopefully there shalt be some in the future!)
11-24-2010, 06:46 PM,

Nice choices. I watched a programme recently about the making of Dark Side Of The Moon and those guys seemed pretty good, but I never really listened to Pink Floyd's music other than that.

Led Zep are awesome as well. They did loads of great songs, but if I had to pick out my favourite it would be Black Dog. Obviously there are loads of other classics that are great, like Over the Hills and Far Away, Fool in the Rain, and obviously Stairway to Heaven, but Black Dog stands out to me because of the awesome guitar riff and the crazy vocals.