Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trailer
08-19-2011, 12:35 PM,

I just finished getting everything I need for the trailer. I now have all the footage and the next stage is to sort through all of the good stuff and then trim it down. I've done some of that already so I'll then start figuring out how best to put it all together.

It won't be high-res and high-quality but it should suffice. =)
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM,

I can render it High res if you want, just send me the vid if its done, my dad has an awesome program for that.
So yeah I'm 13 and small for my age, at least that will make me a decent Dwarf Big Grin
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM,

I'm not sure about the technical details here but would it really improve the quality of the video if it's originally recorded in 800v600 by making it look like the resolution is higher? I think that's what it would have to do.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
08-19-2011, 06:28 PM,

If the source material is 800 x 600 then the final render will be in the same resolution. There is no "high res" as it were, but rather render quality, which should of course be set to the highest possible. This should be done in either Sony Vegas, the Avid or a similar program, preferably not in Windows Movie Maker.

If it doesn't hurt the footage, I'd also consider cropping it to widescreen format. Not only does it plainly look better it is also the standard of today for all trailers.
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM,

Aye, I'll give that some thought. I absolutely loathe Sony Vegas though so I won't be using it. We have Final Cut Pro at work (which is the best IMO) but if I can't use it there then I'll try to get hold of After Effects.
08-20-2011, 07:23 AM,

well I've got camtasia studio and can put the render quality to 1280-720 and even way higher. So..... yeah, just offering.
So yeah I'm 13 and small for my age, at least that will make me a decent Dwarf Big Grin
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM,

Cool! =)

So if I were to put everything together and then send it to yourself to be rendered, that would work, I guess?

@ Xae - Would you be able to add some kind of flashy logo at the start?
08-20-2011, 12:18 PM,

Rendering a file in higher resolution than the source format does not improve video quality. The practice is no different than increasing the size of an image (like a jpeg or an png). Increasing the output resolution of a video above the source resolution results in lower quality.

In essence, 800 x 600 video will always be 800 x 600 video, or less. You can get away with increasing the resolution slightly but there's no quality improvement.

If you decide to crop the video to widescreen format, the height should be 450px, for 16:9 format.

As for the flashy logo, it more or less depends on what you mean, but if you were to send me your render of all the footage cut together, I should be able to add a logo and other effects, yes.

Edit: Sound and video in separate tracks, as well.
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM,

Understood. The flashy logo would be something like what you have produced on the menu screens you created a while back, preferably animated if that's within your range. We could use a definitive logo, I guess. Other things may include various bits of writing that could probably be achieved within an editing program. I have yet to decide upon these details though.

As things stand, I have got all the footage I need. I now need to trim the videos down. I've identified sections and recorded the details so this shouldn't take too long. The main thing now is to design the thing and begin editing it together.

@ Xae - I seem to remember I had Filthwit down as being a good choice of track for the trailer. Should I work with this in mind or had you plans to do something else?
08-21-2011, 12:44 AM,

I've been treating this (see attached image) as the BM logo in the work I've been doing. Adding it to the video wouldn't be a problem. Animating it would be rather limited since the logo is made in Photoshop and not a 3d program. I can add effects to it in order to make it seem more dynamic, I should think. It depends on what you have in mind with "animated." Writing (generated text media) isn't a problem.

As for the music, I won't know for sure if Filthwit is right for the trailer until I've seen the footage. Whatever the case, the footage should be planned and cut independently and the music added afterwards, rather than directing the video after an existing music track.

I may well end up using substantial parts of Filthwit but I would still have to go back into the sequencer and edit the music in there, especially if the trailer could use some general sound effects and a voiceover.

I'll be able to say better once I've seen the footage. It's not a difficult process in any case, as long as I'll have all the elements in separate files.