Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The layout of Soluthis
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM,

Cut from LN's survey thread so the discussion unrelated to LN's thread can continue./RW 060720

Please state the project you are part of, and your position in that project.
TES4: Vvardenfell. I'm the guy who pesters KuKulzA about some random things and argues with Raggidman about other random things.

[...]

-Do you approve of the decisions made by your affiliated projects? What about other large landmass mods with similar agenda? Why or why not?
I don't like some of Silgrad Tower's decisions. Soluthis isn't exactly shaping up to have a traditional Dunmer organic layout.
07-19-2006, 05:07 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Axen
-Do you approve of the decisions made by your affiliated projects? What about other large landmass mods with similar agenda? Why or why not?

I don't like some of Silgrad Tower's decisions. Soluthis isn't exactly shaping up to have a traditional Dunmer organic layout.

What exactly, in your opinion, is wrong with the layout of Soluthis?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by Axen

What exactly, in your opinion, is wrong with the layout of Soluthis?
I think he means like a Temple in the middle, sorta like Gnisis, which is the traditional layout...
however he also needs to consider the Imperials have two castles and a bridge in the middle of town so anything in the way was destroyed.... plus they had to besiege before they occupied...
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM,

Perhaps it is, KuKulzA. I don't really know. Personally I've always seen Ald'ruhn as the archetype for a Redoran city. The only thing I personally can see differs substantially between Ald'ruhn and Soluthis, and isn't related to the very different climate, is that Ald'ruhn has a lot more broken wall pieces whereas the walls in Soluthis are almost always whole.

That's not a 'design choice' I made Smile it's because the broken wall pieces were finalized at a much later stage and I still need to work on them some more before they're really useable as part of the mediumwall tileset.

Other than that... I don't really know. I was thinking of offering to remake the whole thing from scratch if someone made a proper concept map, but the more I thought of it, the less I thought there was anything wrong with Soluthis.

Just like in Ald'ruhn,
- Buildings are usually arranged in semi-circles
- There are plenty of awnings and more will be added
- Redoran steps are there
- There's quite a lot of rocks and rock formations

What isn't like Ald'ruhn is the aforementioned broken walls, and mediumwalls in general. And of course we make heavy use of the gardenwalls, which is a new and in my opinion cool design element. Since Soluthis isn't in the Ashlands the terrain obviously look different.

So, that's my view of it. If I didn't think I was right I wouldn't have done it that way, hehe -- so I'm rather strapped for what others think should change about the town. If you guys have suggestions, comments or critique about Soluthis, feel free to mention them. Now's the time though because the more modding work that's done to it the less chance there is anything will change; right now there's not much that would stand in the way.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM,

I say keep it as it is. Towns of this scale would be built in different stages, each reflecting the needs of the time. This results in a unique layout that is pretty much the heart and soul of the settlement. The worst thing you could do (in my opinion) is meticulously plan a layout according to what you think 'makes sense'. Towns of this sort (planned towns like Milton Kynes in England for anyone who's familiar with it) are souless, miserable places with no character (no offence to anyone who lives there). That's the good thing about the way this mod is being made. As there are so many hands constructing the world, each of their personalities will be reflected in the end result giving us a more believable Morrowind to enjoy.

One thing I would say though is don't space things out to much. Tightly packed cities offer a more exciting play space than a sparse one.

Just my two septims.
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM,

anothing thing though... it isn't easy to have a temple in the center of town with the bridge running through it...
and Alruhn was a special case where Ald-Skar was the central focus, as the Odai rivers was the central focus of Balmora
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
anothing thing though... it isn't easy to have a temple in the center of town with the bridge running through it...
and Alruhn was a special case where Ald-Skar was the central focus, as the Odai rivers was the central focus of Balmora

How many Vvardenfell towns had the Temple in the center of town? =)
Angel mired in filth
07-21-2006, 12:25 AM,

to tell ya the truth, Vvardenfell is bad example...
like Khuul and Ald Velothi were fishing villages... not traditional set up towns... Vivec IS a Temple Big Grin... Pelagiad, Caldera, Seyda Neen, Ebonheart, Dagon Fel... yeah they dont count... Gnaar Mok and Hla Oad are are... smuggler towns... Telvanni don't give a crap about Temple... Suran had a Temple to the side....

damnit! Bethesda don't follow it's lore! X(
now I must :bow: and :lol: at lore-masters, for having such faith in such changing information...