Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Forgotten Forest trees
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM,

TID requested that I make some of the FF trees more gnarled, and here's a few screenshots of how the first try came out. It can also be downloaded here if anyone wishes to see it 'live'. I haven't updated the billboard for it yet, so if you see it from a distance it'll look like the old tree. If it passes muster I can remake the other nine trees from this template.

[Image: th_Oblivion2008-08-2816-32-30-39.jpg] [Image: th_Oblivion2008-08-2816-32-39-84.jpg] [Image: th_Oblivion2008-08-2816-32-48-57.jpg]

[Image: th_Oblivion2008-08-2816-33-20-15.jpg] [Image: th_Oblivion2008-08-2816-34-53-09.jpg]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM,

I just had a look. Only a few suggestions:
  • In a few of the screenshots, the tree looks a bit unbalanced. In this screenshot, for instance, the left side of the tree is almost non-existant. Is there any kind of setting that would make it so that trees are generated to look a bit more balanced?
  • Could you make the branches off the main trunk look a little less smooth? Right now the gentle curve looks a bit bizarre when you compare it to the rest of the tree. I attached a screenshot of where the trunk splits.
  • The branches near the main trunk are a bit too close together. Would it be possible to spread them out a little bit?
I like how the trunk itself looks, and how the ends of the higher branches look. Smile
08-28-2008, 08:30 PM,

1. Afaik the only way is to continously generate the tree to get the most uniform appearance. I'll try.

2. Hmm... I'm not sure, but I'll try.

3. No, because it's based on a bush template. Maybe I should start over with a different template? It wouldn't be that much work for me.

On another note, would you be able to dull down the two leaf textures textures\trees\leaves\Silgrad\SilgradBlackGumLeavesFa0#.dds? I saw them on sandor's screenshots and they seemed way too bright and garish.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-28-2008, 09:29 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
1. Afaik the only way is to continously generate the tree to get the most uniform appearance. I'll try.

2. Hmm... I'm not sure, but I'll try.

3. No, because it's based on a bush template. Maybe I should start over with a different template? It wouldn't be that much work for me.
1. Okay, well, just that tree I guess.

2. Okay.

3. I wouldn't change too much at this point, but it's up to you. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
On another note, would you be able to dull down the two leaf textures textures\trees\leaves\Silgrad\SilgradBlackGumLeavesFa0#.dds? I saw them on sandor's screenshots and they seemed way too bright and garish.
I tried, but texture transparency is still a bit unknown to me. Big Grin I attached FallTex.7z. I hope those are okay.
Let me know if the mipmaps cause any trouble.
09-09-2008, 11:05 PM,

Here is the final (knock on wood) revision of the Forgotten Forest trees.

[Image: th_FFTrees_2008-09-10_scr01.jpg]
Distance shot with size comparison
[Image: th_FFTrees_2008-09-10_scr02.jpg]
Closeup with size comparison
[Image: th_FFTrees_2008-09-10_scr03.jpg]
Nightfall

The update can be -downloaded here-. It'll also make its way into the BSA eventually. The normal esp has a gallery cell, listed at the top of the interior cell list, while the cleaned esp can be merged to the main esm if TID is ok with the revision.
Angel mired in filth
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM,

:yes: That's going to look pretty damn gorgeous as a general backdrop. I'm sure we can get together some environmental effects and scary fungus and flora to offset the effect. They're definitely the spookiest trees that I've yet seen in Oblivion.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-09-2008, 11:40 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
They're definitely the spookiest trees that I've yet seen in Oblivion.

Thankyou Smile
Angel mired in filth
09-10-2008, 04:08 AM,

Those look incredible - makes me think of haunted woods with ghosts, liches, and other undead creatures.
09-14-2008, 03:32 PM,

I like those trees a lot. :yes:

I'll start working with them. If something needs to change, I'll let you know. So I guess bushes are next?
09-14-2008, 04:30 PM,

Those are really good,looks scary,mystic and magical.Great work Rw. Smile