Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The req's and wild speculation thread
04-19-2005, 11:51 PM,
The req's and wild speculation thread
[Image: poll_2005-04-20_Will_you_upgrade_or_buy_a_new_comp.jpg]

Here is a quote from MSFD I thought was very interesting. It is taken from RPGCodex though I found it in the Devs Posts #3 on ESF.

Quote:(MrSmileyFaceDude)
I'll tell you what kind of machine I'm currently developing on, but not how it runs (hey, it's not done yet, so any performance hints I can give you have no bearing on the final game anyway, and besides, I run the game in the debugger most of the time). I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800XT with 256MB. All fairly middle of the road stuff nowadays.

As he says, it is not gospel, but it might give you a hint in either direction if you'll need to upgrade or not.

And damn, it looks like I'll have to replace my CPU, mine is just 2 gigahertz... not that I'd make that decision without knowing the final specs or anything.

Comments? Speculation? Would it be worth getting a 64-bit dual core processor as preparation for Windows Longhorn, if one would be upgrading anyway?

I'm a novice when it comes to 3D cards, so perhaps someone can inform me what the definition of a SM 3.0 card is? The devs have said it will work on a SM 2.0 or 2.1 card (don't recall which it was), but that a 3.0 will allow all the glorious graphical effects.

If we play with the idea that Oblivion will come out in november, in time for christmas shopping, which is the most lucrative season for selling games - what cards do you anticipate will be released about that time? I'm not buying top-of-the-line, but I'd like to time the purchase as the prices for slightly older 3D cards tend to drop when a superior model is introduced. If I can save 200 bucks by waiting a couple of weeks after the release, it won't kill me.... especially as the gf's work comp can probably churn Oblivion along enough to mod on.

At best I'll only be able to have 1024 megabytes of RAM without replacing the motherboard, which in light of all the other upgrades would probably mean I'll retire the current comp and just buy a new one. If you're a Gamer (I'm definitely not), what are your impressions of a comp with 1 gig of RAM - have you experienced it to be too little in some cases?

Further, there has been speculation Oblivion will be released on DVD. They won't be so stupid as to not release a CD version as well, right? I don't have a DVD player for the comp Tongue
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-20-2005, 12:27 AM,

I think that even if they add it as a DVD, it would still be usable with out a DVD player. All a DVD player basically does is convert the files to that special type of video file that no one will ever know about so that it can play it on your computer.

I'm definitely buying a new computer.
|m0use.net|
04-20-2005, 12:35 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Haplo12345
I think that even if they add it as a DVD, it would still be usable with out a DVD player. All a DVD player basically does is convert the files to that special type of video file that no one will ever know about so that it can play it on your computer.

Err.. hmm... err *thinks*
If I only have a CD-RAM in my comp, I don't think it will accept DVD discs as the former uses too wide a laser beam (for one). Where does the video files come in?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
04-20-2005, 02:58 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Haplo12345

Actually a DVD can hold much more information than a CD can, and it is also encrypted differently, compressed a lot more aswell.
A DVD is not playable on a CD drive. It also keeps most of the used files on the disk, and requires a lot less HD space to install. It also runs a bit smoother. If I were you, I'd go ahead and get a DVD drive. Big Grin (Great for backing up system files aswell)

I will need to upgrade, and I think I'm going to go for the 64-bit processor, but probably keep it around the same speed that I have now, a 3600 AMD XP.

I'll also up my Ram to 1 gig. Everything else should run. I have a 9800 pro 256mb graphics.

I hope that I can upgrade before STALKER comes out aswell, at least the ram. Rolleyes

-NR
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
04-20-2005, 10:59 AM,

NoRemorse: You sound like you've played your fair share of games, so I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Do you believe that 1 gigabyte of RAM is sufficient to be able to play games for the next 3-4 years? I'd like that kind of time span.

Does that processor name means it's 3.6 gigahertz?
Angel mired in filth
04-20-2005, 11:32 AM,

Yep, sure have. Cool
I think 1 gig of Ram will hold up the next 3-4 years. I'm pretty sure of it. I have 512mb right now and have no problems.
The processor (3600) is kind of weird. AMD says 3600+ but that only means that it was the fastest that they safely overclocked it is 3.6ghz. It's average speed is about 3.2 ghz.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
04-20-2005, 12:16 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by NoRemorse
Yep, sure have. Cool
I think 1 gig of Ram will hold up the next 3-4 years. I'm pretty sure of it. I have 512mb right now and have no problems.
The processor (3600) is kind of weird. AMD says 3600+ but that only means that it was the fastest that they safely overclocked it is 3.6ghz. It's average speed is about 3.2 ghz.

Aah, ok. Cool, thanks for explaining that Big Grin
Angel mired in filth
04-22-2005, 02:34 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by NoRemorse
I hope that I can upgrade before STALKER comes out aswell, at least the ram. Rolleyes

if... it ever comes out... Big Grin